menion

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Got atm:

1x Gp32 FLU as gaming device - love it :D
1x Samsung A800 (tiny but without gprs) as my mobilephone - love it :D

My thoughts:

Might buy a N-gage and use it as a porable MSN/IRC client (if possible?), might also use it as a Mp3 Player; then I can fill my SMC:s with more games / movies ;> I don't like the weak bass @ the gp32, but it's "ok" :E Still going to use my A800 as the mobilephone and just get a extra SIM to the N-gage.
The N-gage is in my point of view No good as a gaming unit but it's POSSIBLE to "download" all the games anyway.. (seriously speaking, who buys expencive non-good games to a mobile phone anyway? don't know anyone)..

- MSN/IRC on the go!
- Surf the web (don't work at my A800)
- Mp3 - good quality?
- Cheap (well, can be discussed ;)

Might be a good complement to my Gp32 and A800? Worth buyin? :E

Can plz, someone tell me if the MSN / IRC is any good/easy using on the "phone"? Expencive to use?

Thanks in advance

I just picked up an N-Gage QD basically for free ($0 on a plan, but for the same amount I was paying before).

I like it - movie player (xvid) isn't bad, and picodrive (megadrive emu) is pretty good and might even get sound one day. C64 emu is also pretty good. MP3 playing, through software, is mono only however, unlike the original N-Gage, but the QD has better battery time. Some apps are pretty cool, like word and excel viewers etc.

Obviously the small screen is a disadvantage. But there are some games which are pretty good - Ashen, an FPS; Tiger Woods is decent too. And looks like some fairly good games coming too.

All in all, I'm pretty happy since it doesn't cost me anything :D

centrlink the current version of picodrive has sound (noise) its disabled by default

wolly_wotsit have you ever used an n-gage and what didnt you like about it ?

If you're after a phone for msn, irc, mp3's and web browsing then I personally wouldn't go for an ngage. Don't forget that an ngage is basicly a series 60 device on it's side, so instead I'd go for a normal s60 device (which can still play most (maybe even all?) ngage games). Or even just a normal phone with good java support will do everything you're after (I use my K700 for everything you describe).

For web browsing I'd recommend Opera (comes free with the nokia 6600). There's a msn client for s60 that I think works quite well, but I've not used it much. Never tried a s60 irc client, but see the comments on Virca below (java stuff will still run on a s60 device).

On a java device they often come with an xhtml complient browser these days, but they're not as good as Opera. I had a free trial of some msn software (umsg) that was very good, but I think you have to subscribe once the trial runs out. Irc on a java device works really well using Virca, which will work on a device with full networking support (not all devices have this - see the virca site for a list of supported devices)

If you don't care about the NGage games themselves, I suggest an Erricson P900. That can function as a PDA, Phone, and Camera. It has a touch screen with handwriting recognition software. And, of course, it uses the Symbian operating system, so can run all programs the N-Gage can with the exception of those made exclusively for Nokia's Series 60.

Unfortunately if you live in America, it can be hard to find a phone service which supports the P800 / P900 depending on your area.

Otherwise, get one of the other Series 60 Nokias. They have two Series 60 camera phones, and you may want to make sure that it has 8MB of RAM.

I like it - movie player (xvid) isn't bad, and picodrive (megadrive emu) is pretty good and might even get sound one day.

Turn the sound off and it actually makes it come on :p well on some games

Hm.
Well, I have as I said before a Samsung A800, and I'm not gonna buy some expencive new phone. Ngage is rather cheap (the used once) and If I buy one it's just gonna be a complement to my gp32 and samsung a800. Watch movies and play games / emulators @ Gp32 , call @ A800, MSN / IRC(!?) / Internet @ Ngage

Some games might be good to the Ngage though..

Dilemma :> Btw, would maybe be nice with a new cool phone but since my A800 is so tiny and perfect to carry around I love to keep it as my main phone.

Please, keep talkin about N-gage and about it's possiblites and stuff! Migth be a good complement for me? or what do You guys think? (going soon to do my militaryservice here in Sweden)

Sry for my bad english, I'm in a hurry, going out bathing with some friends ^^

i have got a ngage and it is the best phone by far considering the price and everything if not a gaming phone it is a very sophisticated symbian with lots of ram.

WirelessIRC is brilliant it is easy to use and allows downloads aswell while on the move, the msn client Agile which supports yahoo aol and other messenging services.

The video playback is good i myself have watched entire movies on it even though the screen is tiny you get used to it, whats better is that already encoded videos are plentiful and easy to obtain.

The games are good with alot of new releases coming out and like you said are free, The Sims,Ashen,Splinter cell are my favourites and the football games are brilliant over multiplayer. Leisure Suit Larry is coming on to it which is good and there are new rpgs out aswell.

However you will need a MMC writer as USB support has been removed from the qd, if you are willing to spend a little more have a look at the 6600 which plays nearly all of the Ngage games but has the added advantage of a camera but the disadvantage of dody controls.

Visit www.allaboutngage.com for more info and PM or email me for other sites ;)

i bought a ngage yesterday, and i'm very happy of it :)

for mp3 and radio, i find the quality very good, on this phone it's really not a gadget

for msn/irc or other internet apps i never tried them so i can't tell

for the price, in france as the ngage is in his end, the price is getting very interesting, i had mine for 130 euro unlocked with a pre-paid cart, i don't think you can find a cheaper equivalent phone or game unit for that price...

i would advise you an original ngage, not a qd, usb is really useful, the ngage is seen like an usb key in windows xp or linux

it might be a good complement of the gp32 for sure as it's a phone that you can take really anywhere
but to another good phone i don't know...

and i forgot to tell, picodrive is really marvelous :)

I am planning to buy one soon. I have noticed that people that actually own the N-Gage(even if they bought it for collectable sake) are very happy with it. Most the people that complain do not have one or sometimes even played with one.

OmarNawaz posted on Aug 7 2004 at 02:06 PM said:
i have got a ngage and it is the best phone by far considering the price and everything if not a gaming phone it is a very sophisticated symbian with lots of ram.

WirelessIRC is brilliant it is easy to use and allows downloads aswell while on the move, the msn client Agile which supports yahoo aol and other messenging services.

The video playback is good i myself have watched entire movies on it even though the screen is tiny you get used to it, whats better is that already encoded videos are plentiful and easy to obtain.

The games are good with alot of new releases coming out and like you said are free, The Sims,Ashen,Splinter cell are my favourites and the football games are brilliant over multiplayer. Leisure Suit Larry is coming on to it which is good and there are new rpgs out aswell.

However you will need a MMC writer as USB support has been removed from the qd, if you are willing to spend a little more have a look at the 6600 which plays nearly all of the Ngage games but has the added advantage of a camera but the disadvantage of dody controls.

Visit www.allaboutngage.com for more info and PM or email me for other sites ;)
Thanks for all info :) (thank you all;)

Here in Sweden it's quiet expensive with Gprs, 15 SEK (1,89 USD, 1.06 GBP) / Megabyte.

Q: Might be expensive to use the phone as a irc / msn client then?
Q2: Can I listen to radio/mp3 while using msn or another app?
Q3: Can I connect any kind of headphones to the unit or does I have to use the headset?

If i'll buy a unit it will be a cheap used one, not the QD :> and a 256 or 128 MB MMC. Then I can fill my mp3 card to the Gp32 with Bor and some games :D way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just saw it at the stores today and wow this thing is small. I imagined it to be much bigger.

Its gonna be great playing online when I get it from what I hear.

They had a special if you signed up for coverage(which I would have to do anyway) that I get 100 dollars off. I hope its good coverage but you never know.

A couple of flat mates I know both have ngages and it's pretty fun playing multiplayer over bluetooth. As there aren't loooooads of good ngage games, and the good ones can be got for free really, most people have the same games on their card. So people with ngages usually have at least 1 gamee in common to play against eachother with.

ive got the original ngage and i love it, ive got a 256MB mmc card with pretty much every good game on (ghost recon is excellent btw) plus smartmovie and usually 1 or 2 movies. I got it for 50gbp from the orange website a month or so back on pay as u go and unlocked it with a DCT 4 calc. This is by far the best phone that I have ever had and I've had many.

If you want mp3 go for an original ngage as they have the player built in and the 3rd party players for the QD/other s60 machines are not nearly as good having a capped sample rate (16kHz iirc)

Wireless IRC works well over gprs and I use Agile messenger for msn and icq. I also have a ssh/telnet client and loads of other stuff installed.

If i lost or broke my ngage i would buy another one immediately, no question.

malty

p.s. i did the rear talkin mod, cos u feel like a right nob talking into a taco !

Im looking one for a new mobile phone primarily, but a little bit of tomb raider on the side wont hurt :D . What should I get? QD or origional?

EDIT: Can someone give me an Idea of prices?

EDIT2: £200? WTF? Is this the normal rate for a sim free one?

Getting pretty interested in an ngage now actually. Not as a phone, but looks interesting. Anyone know the best site for n-gage software/community?

Back