Wiz Vs Windows Mobile

kev256

Still Fresh
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here. I've been using emulators on phones running windows mobile for a few years now. First a T-Moble MDA (HTC Wizard) then an AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser). NES and GBC run perfect, Genesis, and T16 run pretty good, GBA and SNES are slow but playable with no sound and a lot of frameskipping, DOS games run but are too slow to be worth using, same with most flash games. I haven't tried any arcade, PSX, or Amiga games on it. The controls are pretty awkward. I ordered a blutooth gamepad for it, but could never get it to work. The newer windows mobile phones have better specs, but they are getting rid of the dpads to try to look more like the iphone, so gaming will probably suck on them.

I like the idea of carrying my emulators around with me so the Wiz looks like a great solution for me. The controls are designed for gaming and everything looks like it runs a lot smoother on it.

My question is, for those of you who have used both, how much of an improvement can I expect? Will I be blown away by how much better the experience is, or will it just be a slightly noticeable improvement? I'll still keep my windows mobile device for phone, pda, and internet use.

I have never used the Windows mobile stuff so I can't compare but if you curious about the status of the Wiz emulators I can help.

Nintendo
Genesis
Game Boy Advance
Turbo-Grafx 16
Capcom CPS2 Arcade
Neo-Geo

All of the above run near perfect. I say near because there are always a few games that are the exception and just don't work but we have great emulators for all the systems listed.

The Wiz also a pretty nice SNES emu though it does need some tweaking. With overclocking and turning off transparencies, things like that, you can get most games to run 60fps

I haven't tried any of the old computer emulators or dos-box stuff so can't comment on those.

kev256 said:
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new here. I've been using emulators on phones running windows mobile for a few years now. First a T-Moble MDA (HTC Wizard) then an AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser). NES and GBC run perfect, Genesis, and T16 run pretty good, GBA and SNES are slow but playable with no sound and a lot of frameskipping, DOS games run but are too slow to be worth using, same with most flash games. I haven't tried any arcade, PSX, or Amiga games on it. The controls are pretty awkward. I ordered a blutooth gamepad for it, but could never get it to work. The newer windows mobile phones have better specs, but they are getting rid of the dpads to try to look more like the iphone, so gaming will probably suck on them.

I like the idea of carrying my emulators around with me so the Wiz looks like a great solution for me. The controls are designed for gaming and everything looks like it runs a lot smoother on it.

My question is, for those of you who have used both, how much of an improvement can I expect? Will I be blown away by how much better the experience is, or will it just be a slightly noticeable improvement? I'll still keep my windows mobile device for phone, pda, and internet use.

Gaming on a PDA or Phone is an exercise in frustration unless the game is the type that lends itself to touch screens. Even with a somewhat D pad, like the Ipaq, it just isn't worth it. I use my PDA for reading and as a PDA. Get a wiz. For a good comparison, try playing a game on your dvd player using the remote and then on an nes or something and that will be how big of a move it will be to the wiz. It really is that much better.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, just going off power (stats from wikipedia)

* HTC Wizard has a 195mhz ARM based CPU and 64mb of RAM
* HTC Kaiser has a 400mhz ARM based CPU and 128mb of RAM
* Wiz has a 533mhz ARM based CPU and 64mb of RAM

Obviously there are other factors to take into account, but it looks like it'll out perform the Kaiser in some areas, but the Kaiser will do better on anything that needs more memory

benjymous said:
Well, just going off power (stats from wikipedia)

* HTC Wizard has a 195mhz ARM based CPU and 64mb of RAM
* HTC Kaiser has a 400mhz ARM based CPU and 128mb of RAM
* Wiz has a 533mhz ARM based CPU and 64mb of RAM

Obviously there are other factors to take into account, but it looks like it'll out perform the Kaiser in some areas, but the Kaiser will do better on anything that needs more memory

Hopefully the lack of overhead will make up for the drop in ram. I'd imagine that windows mobile uses up a good amount of the ram just existing, plus multitasking with looking out for new emails, text messages, voice mails, incoming phone calls, and usually a web browser running in the background with a couple tabs open.

The Wiz will probably have more ram available to the emulator than the Kaiser.

I think the Wiz is the way to go. I've been dropping not so subtle hints to the wife to get me one as a x-mas gift. I looked at some other ones too. The dingoo didn't look as flexible, and the pandora looked like more than I'd want to carry around with me.

Exophase said:
64MB vs 128MB of RAM shouldn't matter for any of those emulators.

Aside from neogeo, as there are some roms that are too big for the wiz memory at the moment ;)

Although this wouldn't affect performance.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Exophase said:

Aside from neogeo, as there are some roms that are too big for the wiz memory at the moment ;)

Don't they use cache files to get around that? I'm pretty sure I can run neogeo games that are bigger than the gp2x's ram, can't I? I know some games require that it makes a cache file on the sd card. Or you can always use the neo-cd version (though I've never tried it).

Chris

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Exophase said:

Dude doesn't care about NeoGeo, but in that case it'd be faster if it doesn't have to swap the ROM chunks in.

Back