Wiz Shuts Down.

darklight1138

This started last night. I was charging the system and playing it, like I've done many times. I was playing PicoDrive and suddenly the Wiz just shut down. Powered it back up and it did it again. Removed the cable (Wiz was almost fully charged) and it seems to be fine. But nope, did it again. So I let it charge over night, removed the cable, and played a few games. I thought the problem was gone; maybe the charging cable picked up a short or something. LO and behold I was just playing and it reset again. Now when I start it, sometimes it will hang on the first screen, other times it will hang on the Wiz loading screen. Right now I am in the process of reinstalling the firmware.

In the mean time, has anyone else had this problem?

Orion4874 said:
I had mine freeze on the loading screen but reflashing the firmware corrected it. Hopefully it will work for you as well.

Yeah, did it and everything seems fine now. I got worried for a while!

Did you by any chance download the Bennu file manager? I did, and I wonder if I either deleted a file accidentally through it or if when I deleted the program because I don't like it if that messed something up. The problem seemed to pop up right after messing around with that program.

Last edited by a moderator:
darklight1138 said:
Orion4874 said:
I had mine freeze on the loading screen but reflashing the firmware corrected it. Hopefully it will work for you as well.

Yeah, did it and everything seems fine now. I got worried for a while!

Did you by any chance download the Bennu file manager? I did, and I wonder if I either deleted a file accidentally through it or if when I deleted the program because I don't like it if that messed something up. The problem seemed to pop up right after messing around with that program.
No, nothing like that. It seems this can happen for no rhyme or reason. It only happened once to me but it has happened repeatedly to some people. This was a fairly common problem early in the Wiz's life, if you go back to the older pages in the "I need help" section you'll see the posts. Someone suggested leaving the firmware on your card just in case this happens but you probably don't need to do that.

Sounds like a bad battery to me..
Does the battery symbol bounce around at all?

darklight1138 said:
Great, it just did it again. I've had too many problems with this thing. :(

Do you mean does it display different charges inconsistently? If so, no. It resets when the unit is plugged in as well.

Oh yeah, hmm unless to want to take it apart to look for a loose connection, did you drop it lately?

darklight1138 said:
Do you mean does it display different charges inconsistently? If so, no. It resets when the unit is plugged in as well.

It fell like a foot off my desk onto a carpet. I think I will take the battery out and put it back in.

Oh well, nothing fixes it. Spent hours reformating, reflashing, trying different cards. It just keeps shutting down at random times. A lot of times the Wiz would freeze during the flash upgrade. Such a shame because I really did like this little device.

I think what happened was something happened when I sent it in to be fixed for a broken button. When I got it back, there was a dent on the upper left side of the case, and the casing on the right side wasn't completely snapped in. I had to snap the top and bottom corners into place. Maybe a connection was loose and it just got worse over time. Maybe when it barely fell a foot onto the carpet that finished the job.

Guess I'm just gonna save up for a Cannoo. I was hoping it would at least last me for when I go to the hospital for surgery.

Dammit... :(

I took my Wiz apart and then realized I didn't know what to look for. Everything seemed ok, lol. Put it back together and have been playing it for an hour or so without any problem, so far. Weird.

Back