Wiz Flash Player Benchmarked Against Mobile Phones

pea

developer
Website
www.projectitis.com
Hi all,

Took some time to do some further benchmarking of the Flash Player on a couple of phones.
Full details on my blog

Basically it runs about the same as a high-end mobile phone - but no better. This is slightly disappointing. I'm hoping the new vendor for GPH is working overtime to improve the performance. There should be a lot that can be done to improve performance, including using OpenGL for the rendering.

Does anybody know what overheads the operating system on the Wiz would be putting on the processor while the Flash Player is running? It would be safe to assume that the operating system (Symbian) on the phone is putting a bigger strain on the processor than it is on the Wiz, right?

What sort of RAM bottleneck? Bandwidth? I wouldn't think my tests were that memory intensive... I think it is more likely just the implementation of the Flash Player.

pea said:
What sort of RAM bottleneck? Bandwidth? I wouldn't think my tests were that memory intensive... I think it is more likely just the implementation of the Flash Player.
With only 16KB of dcache and icache respectively you don't really have to be doing a lot before the latency/bandwidth to main memory starts becoming a major performance factor.

Linux sitting there shouldn't be putting a lot of overhead on anything. The tick rate shouldn't be very high - I'll check what it is sometime.

Of course I wouldn't rule out bigger factors being in software when they're two different players. Do you know which vendors are doing them?

Last edited by a moderator:
GPH haven't indicated who the vendors are. I'll be updating them shortly on my testing, and I'll pop the question in.

GPH have asked for a couple of our games for testing, so I've supplied those. I'll also supply the benchmark app so that they can check performance directly with the old player.

Back