With Gp2x Do You Have A Full Speed (no Frameskip) Genesis/md Emulator

renejr902

Website
Visit site
with gp2x do you have a full speed with sound/music (no frameskip) genesis/md emulator ? ( at least for sonic 1 and 2)

i dont like frameskip in Sonic games. cant live with it.

on my nintendo Ds and psp Sonic 1 and 2 (picodrive) they runs fullspeed without frameskip but, psp has slow down and ghostling and for Nintendo Ds the sound is sometime buggy and you cant see all the screen, because ds resolution is lower than 320 x240 for genesis sonic games
drmd v5b9 is cool for gp32 but need frameskip 1 or 2 or autoframeskip.

i played sonic on my genesis very often so i cant live with frameskip.

please tell me the truth if i buy a gp2x i dont want to be dissapointed by false answers.

Thanks for answer

Oh god yes. Picodrive is possibly the best Genesis/MD emulator on any system. I'd even go out on a limb and say that it's the GP2X's flagship emulator. It's just perfect.

Running at native resolution on the GP2X screen it looks gorgeous. Run it out to a TV, and (to paraphrase Craigix) you could easily fool your mates into thinking you've got a real Sega console hidden away somewhere.

You don't have to take my word for it either... Search the boards for Picodrive discussion. ;)

Gruso said:
Oh god yes. Picodrive is possibly the best Genesis/MD emulator on any system. I'd even go out on a limb and say that it's the GP2X's flagship emulator. It's just perfect.

Running at native resolution on the GP2X screen it looks gorgeous. Run it out to a TV, and (to paraphrase Craigix) you could easily fool your mates into thinking you've got a real Sega console hidden away somewhere.

You don't have to take my word for it either... Search the boards for Picodrive discussion. ;)
+1

:gp2x :D

Last edited by a moderator:
picodrive for psp is a port from gp2x. The author admits the psp version isn't as good as the gp2x version do to some problems.

picodrive for gp2x is pretty much perfect. I doubt you will find anyone to dispute this. If genesis/megadrive emulation is whats important to you there is currently no better place to go than the gp2x. Other emulation on gp2x is disputable but picodrive on gp2x will not disappoint you no matter how picky you are.

As a fellow aussie, I'll add my +1 too.

Picodrive is awesome on the GP2X.

Just some food for thought (in my opinion):

Just remember that the black Mk1 GP2X has a poor controller.

The black Mk2 GP2X has some improvements to the controller but it's still relatively poor compared to the Nintendo DS or Sony PSP.

The white Mk2 GP2x has a completely different style of controller. I haven't used it much but it looks better to me.

So you may have some awesome emulators but if you can't play the game properly - what's the point?

I've modified one of my GP2X's with DaveC's n-gage controller which makes such a world of difference. I'd highly recommend the mod though it's very hard to get now and finding a 2nd hand GP2X with the mod in place is probably just as hard.

Don't get me wrong, the GP2X is awesome and you won't be disappointed in getting one but I just wanted to make you aware of what I think is it's single major shortcoming.

renejr902 said:
with gp2x do you have a full speed with sound/music (no frameskip) genesis/md emulator ? ( at least for sonic 1 and 2)

i dont like frameskip in Sonic games. cant live with it.

on my nintendo Ds and psp Sonic 1 and 2 (picodrive) they runs fullspeed without frameskip but, psp has slow down and ghostling and for Nintendo Ds the sound is sometime buggy and you cant see all the screen, because ds resolution is lower than 320 x240 for genesis sonic games
drmd v5b9 is cool for gp32 but need frameskip 1 or 2 or autoframeskip.

i played sonic on my genesis very often so i cant live with frameskip.

please tell me the truth if i buy a gp2x i dont want to be dissapointed by false answers.

Thanks for answer

Yes the Genesis/MD emu is the bees knees. It is fullspeed with no frameskip in all of the sonic games except Sonic 3 which may need a touch of overclock to 230 or so for no frameskip.

Better yet is the fact that it runs *Sega CD* games fullspeed plus the polygonal Virtua Racing as well. You can play Sonic CD and Silpheed on the go with full music and sound. The screen resolution is almost a perfect match so no fuzzy scaling is needed. It looks MUCH better than it does on the PSP or DS just because of that.

renejr902 said:
thanks for answer.
i was thinking mod the controller.

i never play sonic cd . is it good. better than genesis
Sonic CD is great. The music is good obviously but there are cool effects, levels, etc.

Well as for myself I'm still not 100% happy with PicoDrive and I'm still rewriting portions of it. There are bunch of internal things which could be done better, like missing idle loop detection in accurate modes, YM2612 state is not 100% saved, timers are a bit off, etc. There were some complains about some games sounding a bit wrong too.

notaz said:
Well as for myself I'm still not 100% happy with PicoDrive and I'm still rewriting portions of it. There are bunch of internal things which could be done better, like missing idle loop detection in accurate modes, YM2612 state is not 100% saved, timers are a bit off, etc. There were some complains about some games sounding a bit wrong too.
And it's this mentality that is the reason PicoDrive is soooo great! Credit where credit is due, thanks Notaz for always finding "yet something else" that can be improved with your emulators! :lol:

notaz said:

Yeah you are right. Picodrive is complete shit. I am suprised I am wasting precious card space on my 16 GB card with this dodgy bit of code. What a bug-bomb mess..... <_<

Ok I am sure you know that I am joking :p I think Picodrive is one of the best emus up there with Temper, GnGeo, GPFce. Even I think it is fantastic and I am picky. If you want to improve it that is great, but I was happy with it. Thanks for the great work.

notaz said:
PicoDrive gets better and better, it is the best thing on the GP2X. Great to see you are such a perfectionist that you want to improve it further, but what you have already achieved is fantastic!

Mega Drive emulation on GP2X is perfect thanks to notaz. Perfect screen aspect, no frameskip. I have not encountered any game that causes problems.

The author (notaz) has suggested future improvements, which would be great but I imagine only impact a small number of games I have not tried.

Owning a PSP, GP2X & DS I cxan definitely state notaz's Picodrive on GP2X is by far the best (if not perfect) Mega Drive emulation available on a handheld.

Cant wait to try it. !!!

i just won a GP2X. Hurray !!!

i own a psp and DS. psp picodrive run enough good (some slow down) and some ghostling

Ds picodrive= the music bug very often, its not funny, and unscaled its too large... but it runs 100% speed with no frameskip, im really surprised about that, considering the gp32 drmd cant do that but in drmd the sound dont bug at all

I always want a genesis (megadrive) emu that run like the real hardware.

Back