Wireless Extenders

DemonStar55

chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai chai
Website
demonstar55.phpnet.us
well I need a wireless extender so I can play my Wii online in my room. I have a D-Link WBR-2310 if that would help at all. My room is like probably 30 ft away with a few walls and a floor at a pretty steep angle so I just need to find some way to get the signal to my room, well be stronger, I can see it just it fails to connect because it's too weak

edit: also called wireless repeaters

He says that there are router that can do it, I can't see what else could. You want something that records all the wifi traffic that passes it and superposes it over the original wifi signal?

You could try making some sort of parabolic dish that can go around one side of the antennas. There is a site about them here (pictures at the bottom of the page). A few of my friends have made them and they have greatly increased the signal quality.

You could also try changing the type of WIFI you use to 802.11b, and disabling all security. This should provide a slow, yet reliable signal. You shouldn't need to worry to much about the lack of security as there are so many WIFI connections around nowadays that the chances of someone breaking into your specific network is pritty low. To add a little bit of protection you could disable DHCP and then set all of the IP addresses manually and locate them in an unusual IP range, with an unusual subnet mask and enable MAC filtering on the router. (maybe something like 10.13.26.0, with a mask of 255.255.255.0).

If that doesn't work you will have to try a wireless repeater (like you mentioned). I've had a quick look and found this one, which doesn't seem to be far too expensive.

sam fisher posted on Dec 27 2006 at 02:19 PM said:
He says that there are router that can do it, I can't see what else could. You want something that records all the wifi traffic that passes it and superposes it over the original wifi signal?
well yeah, they do have them as Javacat posted and I know there are router that do it, I just want a stand alone one or something, I found a few, I was just wondering if anyone had experience with devices like this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back