Wine

Muzer

Still Fresh
This might be a stupid question (dispite what it says under the channel link ;)).

I have recently got to grips with Ubuntu/Kubuntu (a KDE version of Ubuntu) and I found a hack to get Worms Armageddon working on it via wine. The questions are: 1) would I be able to run wine on the GP2X?
2) Would I be able to either physically, through a USB CD drive and the breakout board or something, or virtually, through putting all the data onto an SD card, mount the WA CD in order to play it without some stupid no-cd crack which means I cannot update the game?

Also, is there any internal memory for the GP2X or is it all done through SD cards?

BTW, all these questions are for the GP2X

Muzer said:
1) would I be able to run wine on the GP2X?

1) No. Wine only works on a PC as it relies on the fact linux is running on the same hardware as windows would

There is some internal memory on the gp2x (where linux is stored etc) which can be written to. Not sure exactly how much now, i think the total on my (older) gp2x is 64mb, might be 128mb now. It is recommended you use a sd card tho, stops you acidently messing up the system, and there's not many reasons not to (especially as they are so cheap now).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mount can mount ISO files.

As for wine, you would have to run it under an x86 emulator, QEMU would be the best choice (but it hasn't been ported AFAIK). Anyway it'd be slow as hell (the screen resolution would also be a big problem). You might want to look into playing a similar but less hardware intense game...I believe that worms has been released on other systems that we can better emulate (the Amiga?).

There are snes and genesis versions of worms. One of them was only a beta, but good. Can't remember which.

Can anyone test the PSX port of Worms, because I think that would be the best choice, as it doesn't use a kb so it won't be a bitch to use, and people have said that that's the most accurate port of the original Worms. Not sure about WA, I've asked the owner of the world's best T17 fansite, www.dream17.co.uk.

And anyway, according to the site, none of them were betas, they were all released to the public.

And also, quotes from the site and you:
mth411 said:
There are snes and genesis versions of worms. One of them was only a beta, but good. Can't remember which.
http://www.dream17.co.uk/softography.php?id=27&s=xtra said:
Super Nintendo and MegaDrive/Genesis
No words can describe how bad a port of Worms these version really are. Ported to the consoles by East Point Software, who also ported many Team17 Amiga games to the PC such as Arcade Pool and Alien Breed - Tower Assault, it lacked the Ninja Rope and Bungee, and generally felt rushed and uncomfortable to play. And yes, it is graphically worse than the Amiga version.

I still say that the Genesis version is very fun to play. Understandably, it takes a little while to get used to the controls (the game is fairly complex), but after that it's smooth sailing all the way.

It would be possible to compile Windows applications using winelib if the source is available however :)

Why have all these GP2X-related threads suddenly started appearing in the GP32 section?

I dunno. I was meaning to post it into the I need Help section but I must have accidently mis-posted

EDIT: Oh, how stupid I've been. I just realised the "I need help section" is part of the GP32 section,

Either that or the mods moved it.

And anyway, the source for all 3 are not avaliable.

I extend my question asked in my previous post. Can anyone test the original Worms, Worms Armageddon or Worms World party for the PSX on the GP2X? I don't have one yet and this will definately influence my desicion to get one.

Hmm... I've looked on the GP2X wiki and WA is on "Barely Works" with the comment "This game has somehow messed up a bit". Can anyone confirm how it's messed up? And if it's still messed up in the latest version? (the version tested is beta 2)

Fishbong said:
If you just want worms, why not buy a DS? There´s two Worms games for it.
I have a DS.

1) Worms on DS doesn't have nearly as many features as its predecesors, not even worms 1
2) the second worms game isn't out yet
3) the one that is out is as buggy as hell

I'll try WA for you in the morning. It's 2am over here, so i think I need sleep

I tried Worms World Party today, which is for the most part same as Worms Armageddon (I found only .nrg image of WA). I tried on 240MHz, it is very slow, maybe 30-50% speed, the framerate actually isnt too bad without sound, but everything happens so slow t he game isn't enjoyable :(
Why is this in GP32 help?

Back