"windows Phone 7" Impressions

Consequence_9

have you realized that rock stars always seem to l
I'm curious to know what you all think of the recently unveiled windows phone 7 OS. Personally I think it looks confused & completely impractical. I just don't see it taking off as a major smartphone OS. I understand they're going for minimalism, but there is such a thing as just too minimalistic.

I hope Firefox gets ported soon so all the people with those phones can access the Internet.
Arora would be great too, but I don't know exactly what APIs it has and whether Qt will be on there.

Microsoft can't seem to escape the 'slow and clunky' issues. It plagues almost all their software.

I can only assume it is down to huge internal spats. I bet some ego obsessed clown crated their base graphical libs and has the influence to get them used on everything - even though they are clearly slow and unoptimised - and no one has the balls to tell him they need to start over.

It's the sort of crap which happens at huge companies and is difficult culture to stop.

While MS have their heads in the sand on those issues other companies are quickly showing them how it's supposed to be done.

I always liked the interface on the Zune, and would have got one if they actually sell in the UK <_< .
But that looks way too slow, and I get the impression he kept touching icons and launching programs etc when he didn't mean to.

Difficult to tell how good it'll be for day to day use. If phones with this on start coming out at some point, I might see if I can have a play with one.

It makes these OS's like contiki and nuttx look *VERY* appealing. Perhaps they should build on one of those cores and then put less crap on top. Too bad only a very few companies have the ability to actually make the hardware vendors make sure they have compatibility.

I think having more competition is a good thing. I don’t think watching a video of a phone is the same as playing with it in your hands but I am impressed. I have an IPhone and I am personally really satisfied with it. The one thing that irks me about it is using the touch screen for gaming. Having real buttons would be better. I would really love to have a windows 7 phone with game controls or an android phone with game controls or any top tier smart phone with game controls for that matter.

craigix said:
Microsoft can't seem to escape the 'slow and clunky' issues. It plagues almost all their software.

I can only assume it is down to huge internal spats. I bet some ego obsessed clown crated their base graphical libs and has the influence to get them used on everything - even though they are clearly slow and unoptimised - and no one has the balls to tell him they need to start over.

It's the sort of crap which happens at huge companies and is difficult culture to stop.

While MS have their heads in the sand on those issues other companies are quickly showing them how it's supposed to be done.

Its good that you mention that MS are slow and unoptimised (or just crap)..

OSX 10.6 has become such a dog! It crashes on me once or twice a week, finder crashes and will not restart and MANY other issues I'm having with it.
It's not just MS who has screwed up recently.
OSX 10.5 was great. QuickView (space bar on files) used to be able to watch AVI's in it. In 10.6 it just shows the icon image. STUPID APPLE!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have understood, the first phones with this OS will be shipped in 9 months. IMO too late to stop Android from becoming a very dominant player on the mobile market.
That said, you should never underestimate MS.

I tend to think you cannot underestimate MS enough - They reached their level of incompetence years ago. It's just their huge userbase which keeps them where they are.

kingoddball said:
OSX 10.5 was great. QuickView (space bar on files) used to be able to watch AVI's in it. In 10.6 it just shows the icon image. STUPID APPLE!

Click the icon, there will be a play button. Click that, and the AVI will preview in the icon.

EDIT: I see what you mean now. Download and instal Perian (www.perian.org) and set quicktime to open AVI by default. :)

Nova said:
kingoddball said:

Click the icon, there will be a play button. Click that, and the AVI will preview in the icon.

EDIT: I see what you mean now. Download and instal Perian (www.perian.org) and set quicktime to open AVI by default. :)

Is this just AVI support (VLC is good) or will this enable quickview (spacebar preview) for AVI files? Quickview works well with MP4 and the rest.. 10.6 was a terrible upgrade - should have stayed at 10.5.x.

Edit: It says it enables quicklook AVI. Thanks mate! I appreciate it! That was the worst feature of 10.6 (missing AVI). It crashes a lot, too!

It was revealed today that WP7 is going to run on ARM. This means they are porting Silverlight and a big chunk of the XNA libraries to ARM.

I do wonder what they'll be offering with XBL... If they offered game streaming to the phone, now THAT would be a selling point.

Back