Release Window Manager - Enlightenment E17

giddion

Still Fresh
I have seen in the Ubuntu presentation on pandora that gnome is the preferred choice, way too bloated for my liking.

Anyone looking at E17?
It is very snappy and has a pack of features that can revitalise old PC's like pentium 100's.

http://www.enlightenment.org/

GNOME wasn't really the preferred choice, it's just by default used in Xubuntu. Also, GNOME is not a window manager. I believe xfce is the window manager used with Xubuntu, which is touted as being reasonably light.

GNOME and KDE are both desktop environments, paired with a window manager like enlightenment, xfce, Fluxbox, Metacity, etc. (I find the difference to be rather confusing myself.) My understanding is that a desktop environment handles icons on the desktop, toolbars, and often the widgets and such, while the window manager handles window events, window decorations, etc.

There's some discussion over the best window manager to use in another thread. E17 has been mentioned a few times on the gp32x forums as well.

[edit] As an aside, raster posted to the gp32x forums, and expressed interest in the Pandora. Hopefully there will be some special attention for our beloved handheld.

Yamara said:
GNOME wasn't really the preferred choice, it's just by default used in Xubuntu. Also, GNOME is not a window manager. I believe xfce is the window manager used with Xubuntu, which is touted as being reasonably light.

XFCE is a full DE, not WM - that's where the 'X' in Xubuntu comes from, as opposed to GNOME in Ubuntu and KDE in Kubuntu.

Xubuntu's XFCE is just tweaked to look like Ubuntu's default GNOME setup.

Back