Winape32 (amstrad Emulator)

If its coded in assembly then there is no way it can be ported to the GP32... different cpu types use vastly different assembly code, ARM assembly, x86 assembly, m68k assembly; it's all different - for portability you really need to look at a language that is less hardware dependant and is portable, like C, C++, Java etc..

I, too, would also love to see a CPC emulator. Was one being worked on a while back by Ryleh?

oh well
i never played it

p.s.
papapapalung i just actually read ur name carefully and that is the weirdest thing i have ever read

Well, there are not many OpenSource emulators for the Amstrad CPC and I think that Ryleh started to port Arnold for Linux to the GP32, but Arnold isn't the fastest (but a very accurate) emulator which means that somebody who is porting this emulator have to optimize it and this can take some time...
But it would be nice to hear some news about that emulator.

OK, just to clarify:

Arnold and CPC-em are the main open source CPC emulators which are written in C and thereby portable. The former is more compatible than the latter but runs slower. (theres also Caprice but its Ulrich Doewich needs to grant permission)

Rlyeh has indeed done an alpha port of Arnold called fCPC last December. It has no sound and runs very slowly. On the other hand, its got excellent functionality (virtual keyboard, GoodCPC support, change models - plus support, nice menu etc etc) and thanks to its sources is very compatible. As a alpha it is not available to the general GP32 public.

Rlyeh is aware of both and wont consider CPC-em for that very reason. Hes also been trying to contact Kevin Thacker whom as anyone who writes to him knows is very hard to get hold of.

Equally, right now and most likely for the forseeable future Rlyeh is 100% working on fGen a Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for the GP32 using FDaves 68k ARM ASM core and Reesys Z80 ARM ASM core. Reesys Z80 core is very much embedded into DrSMS so it will take a while for it to be able to be used in fGen let alone be possibly implemented into fCPC.

So we CPC fans will just have to be patient and satiate ourselves with Speccyal and Frodo for the time being. And diablo2, its well worth waiting for. CPC had some nice games! ;)

Back