• Maybe, other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

A_SN

That poll was necessary

Poll results :

- Touchscreen usability is people's biggest concern
- Over two thirds of us find the console's design flawed to a certain extent
- About 12% of us don't intend on buying it, over 71% of us do, leaving 16% uncertain as of now

This poll sucks. Why can't I choose 'the specs are amazing and the design is good'
The design can't be perfect.

b_o_b said:
This poll sucks. Why can't I choose 'the specs are amazing and the design is good'
The design can't be perfect.
You mean it lacks options?? lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I will buy it, but not unconditionally. If the reviews are bad and community reception is generally bad, it's not getting no love from me. Nor if it becomes much more expensive than estimated.

No, it didn't make me reconsider.

The design is good, but I would have liked some slight curves in the corners. Not enough to require a restructuring of the insides, but enough to make it slightly less hard-edged. Especially around the bottom corners and the back, considering the way we'll be holding it.

Hmm, this poll is definitely heavily weighted on the Pandora-hater side - looks like an exercise in venting yr beef to me <_<

I didn't bother filling it in because in the "Whats wrong with it?" section didn't adequately cover my biggest complaint with the current renders which is best described as 'Lack of dedicated essential Linux keys (TAB, CTRL, ALT, /, .)' but me and the pro-shell brigade have already made this shortcoming perfectly clear.

All this fuss about it looking fugly - bunch of girls the lot of ye! I'm concerned about build quality and usability "Does it look cool" doesn't even come into it for me.

danboid said:
Hmm, this poll is definitely heavily weighted on the Pandora-hater side - looks like an exercise in venting yr beef to me <_<

I didn't bother filling it in because in the "Whats wrong with it?" section didn't adequately cover my biggest complaint with the current renders which is best described as 'Lack of dedicated essential Linux keys (TAB, CTRL, ALT, /, .)' but me and the pro-shell brigade have already made this shortcoming perfectly clear.

All this fuss about it looking fugly - bunch of girls the lot of ye! I'm concerned about build quality and usability "Does it look cool" doesn't even come into it for me.
Well, the developers have said that they are working on the keyboard, so it wouldn't surprise me if they are there next render/prototype

I'm sure they are, and I look forward to seeing the re-jigged design but I also feel a bit sorry for MWeston and Craig- whatever they do there's going to be armies of people complaining that their fave design feature didn't make it.

I never thought I'd be happy about patents but when I discovered Pandora couldn't have a slide-out keyboard due to patents I had to reconsider :p

About the keys again- I could actually get by OK with having to Fn-press to get / and . but CTRL, ALT and TAB are musts.

So when can we expect Pandora render 2.0?

i been with the board a long time and this is another stepping stone for us :)
one thing i've learnt, you'll never make everyone happy about the design. we have a very powerful handheld coming it will be able to do lots of things so we get a design that lets us do lots of things :).

you never know if its a success it may breed a spin off different design later for folks that dont want all the features. bit like what nintendo do.

and oh the poll sucks

javaJake said:
A_SN said:
That poll was necessary
...but too specific and heavily biased. :(

Is that biased because there are more options against it than for it? See, if you like it, it's good, very good, and we care to know. But we don't need to know every single reason why you love it, we need to know why some people don't like it, and thus figure out how people could made to like it better. Thanks to this poll it clearly appears that the touchscreen is the biggest issue, and thanks to that Craig & Co will be able to better decide what to do knowing what a tiny fanboyish part of the market wants.

See it's actually a very constructive poll oriented towards measuring and qualifying discontent and quantifying negative criticism :)

All your options are way too critical. Where's the "The design is good but with a few tweaks it could be great" option?

I really don't care that much about design, other than in a purely ergonomical sense.

The renderings and mock-ups I've seen sofar don't seem to reveal any glaring ergonomical sins (in fact, user experiences with the mock-ups show that the placement of keyboard keys has either been carefully considered or the designers have stumbled on a nice fluke). The only thing I would consider "poor design choice" is the placement of card slots and plugs, but that has already been discussed elsewhere. In any case, it wouldn't be a showstopper for me.

I want this thing, but I'm still not convinced it will be open enough for it to be community-transformed into a generic-ish Linux UMPC. Still awkwardly sitting on that fence...

A_SN said:
Thanks to this poll it clearly appears that the touchscreen is the biggest issue, and thanks to that Craig & Co will be able to better decide what to do knowing what a tiny fanboyish part of the market wants.
No it doesn't say that. It only says that a monoblock device should have been better for touchscreen use.
That is like saying that a full sized keyboard would type better.

The only thing that does say something is that 80% didn't reconsider because of the design.

I'm going to buy it, unless the community rejects it. The biggest concern are the controls, I can see the analog sticks being a problem. I don't know how far the left can go right, and how far the right can go left. It looks like it could be alittle uncomfortable. But I don't really know, so unless someone states that the controls are teh suck when it comes out, I'm buying it (the touchscreen is my second biggest worry).

imec said:
I'm going to buy it, unless the community rejects it. The biggest concern are the controls, I can see the analog sticks being a problem. I don't know how far the left can go right, and how far the right can go left. It looks like it could be alittle uncomfortable. But I don't really know, so unless someone states that the controls are teh suck when it comes out, I'm buying it (the touchscreen is my second biggest worry).
Are you asking for the nub travel distance? If so, it is 2.5mm in any direction from center.

MWeston said:
imec said:
Are you asking for the nub travel distance? If so, it is 2.5mm in any direction from center.

Cool, that's reassuring. I was thinking that going the full distance with your thumbs would be extremely difficult, but considering the size of the unit and nub travel distance, I think it will be comfortable.

I'm definitely buying it ASAP. I did check the "it's perfect" box for design, and although that's not entirely true (since nothing will be perfect), there are only a few kinks that need to be worked out, like which keyboard buttons will be primary and such. If holding it really becomes an issue, I'm sure that someone will eventually make a grip. I can't imagine it being that horrible, though. (Btw, mostly just worried about fast paced games, the Megaman X series in particular. If I have to get used to it, big deal. lol)

b_o_b said:
A_SN said:
Thanks to this poll it clearly appears that the touchscreen is the biggest issue, and thanks to that Craig & Co will be able to better decide what to do knowing what a tiny fanboyish part of the market wants.
No it doesn't say that. It only says that a monoblock device should have been better for touchscreen use.

Well, that's what I implied, obviously.. And the difference with a fullsize keyboard is that having a monoblock device isn't far fetched, so that makes it quite a lousy analogy.

b_o_b said:
The only thing that does say something is that 80% didn't reconsider because of the design.
The ONLY thing, really? I wonder why I even even bother to argue with people like you..

A_SN said:
The ONLY thing, really? I wonder why I even even bother to argue with people like you..
lol, I wonder why everyone is even bothering to argue at all. Provided you take a minute to think about it, does anyone really believe that bickering amongst ourselves is going to drastically change the design, or really anything else for that matter? Seriously, a lot of what goes on in message boards is ridiculous, lol.

Regarding the design, I've said it over and over; I trust CraigIX and Co. to do this right. They're gamers, not vacuum cleaner salesmen. If something doesn't work, they'll fix it so it does. And they also know that if they screw this up for the sake of a quick buck, this little community would never forgive them. They're the ones doing this, and they're going to do it right.

Yrx said:
They're gamers, not vacuum cleaner salesmen.
Yeah, funny you should mention that, because Craigix pretty much makes a living off selling used cars, or so I heard.

Back