Will you be getting a Chromecast..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
Or have you already got one?

Supposedly up for sale in the big electronic retailers in the UK soon (Currys/PC world etc.. at a vastly inflated price no doubt!)  I'll most probably be getting one for use primarily to stream XBMC content from my tablet to TV.

A work colleague has mentioned that there's much more that can be done with them.. even basic gaming, has anyone here experience with one yet.. how flexible (or not) are they?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool

dreamcast-chrome.gif

I know they by default dont do much. There was a thing on kickstarter just recently that was more full feature.

Will probably end up with one, unless it means the goog is getting one up on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be getting two or three, one for each TV in the house so I can stream to them from my N7. Will be useful especially when XBox live support is dropped for my 360 (which I use primarily for streaming TV apps).

D.

I just read they expecting launch this Monday morning here.

I'll definitely be interested to see what these things can do, then see if it's worth me getting one.

I have a telly is a smart one anyway, so I already have Netflix and TVnow apps on it, and I can throw YT streams from my phone/tablet to it easily with one touch.

Be interested to see what else this might offer me

I bought one a while back, it seems like the only thing that works in my region is youtube, but that's fine since I use that a lot.

Bought one from ebay for 30 quid. Pretty neat to stream stuff from my phone so I don't have to turn on my pc if I just want to watch videos or something.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think if you've an HDMI telly, which is not a smartTV with apps or built in wifi ... these are great devices to get, I find streaming YT to your telly from your phone/tablet is much nicer than any YT app on PS3 or anything else I've seen.

I picked one of these Chromecast up today as it goes, £30, pretty much for one app, Cartoon HD :)

That has lots of films, and what I'm mainly using it for, cartoons, like classic Pink Panther and the cartoon films which I play for my daughter.

I needed a way to output it to my telly and Chromecast does it, via another media player app which cost me another quid or so.

Quality is good though.

Interested to know what anyone else might be using it for, any other good apps?

Not installed the Chrome browser extension yet, but that looks like it will then allow for pretty much anything you can launch in a browser tab to be cast, I guess including HTML5 games...

...Thinking that Atari Arcade site will be good http://atari.com/arcade#!/arcade

Have to try that tomorrow night when have time

I use Plex Media server (you don't have to pay for that part of it) coupled with Avia on my Nexus 7 (2013) to cast to one of three TVs in the house. Awesome stuff - though it plays pretty much anything it has choked on AVI files. Just use Handbrake to convert to .mp4 and you're away.

D.

I'm going to test my Plex later tonight.

I currently stream my Plex server from my Mac to my telly, over DLNA, which is nice and simple, but I can only view my libraries [not ones shared with me]

I'm hoping, and suspecting, that with Chromecast I can cast from my Plex app on my phone, and it will let me cast a film from a library shared to me onto my telly

The recent mirroring feature is pretty decent from what I've tried on it. Much nicer now can cast my entire apps over the air rather than select few

Back