Will this work?

sehs33

Website
Visit site
Hi all,

Was wondering if this works, I have all the parts ready but not daring to try it (will explain why later)

Mouse with USB A m <--> USB Gender changer f to f <--> USB A m to USB B f cable <--> Pandora USB OTG port

The reason am not daring to try this is that the "USB Gender changer f to f" looks kinda illogical, it has the same exact connector both ways which makes me believe that if connected it will connect opposite lines to each others and might harm my Pandora.

Thanks in advance

No, I don't think it'll work. See, the OTG ports have an additional pin. This pin is used to tell the device that the OTG port shall be used as a host port rather than a client, so you need to use an OTG adapter which can tell the Pandora that there's a client device connected to it instead of a host device.

So what I really need is a USB B m to USB A f? Can't I create one from the parts I already have?

+ (although irrelevant)

Why is the use of USB A f to f gender changer like the one I have?

Let me quote Wikipedia:

The USB On-The-Go standard introduces a new plug receptacle called mini-AB. It can accept either a mini-A plug or a mini-B plug. Mini-A Adapters allow connection to standard-A USB cables, coming from peripherals. The standard OTG cable has a mini-A plug on one side and a mini-B plug on the other (it cannot have two plugs of the same type). The device that has a mini-A plugged in becomes an OTG A-device, and the one that has mini-B plugged becomes a B-device (see above). The type of the plug inserted is detected by the state of the pin ID (the mini-A plug has the ID pin grounded while the ID in the mini-B plug is floating). (There are also pure Mini-A plugs, used where a compact host port is needed but OTG is not supported.)
That highlighted part is important. If you use a normal Mini-USB plug, the port thinks that the Pandora should act as a device instead of a host, so a mouse connected through a normal Mini-USB adapter will not work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me quote Wikipedia:

That highlighted part is important. If you use a normal Mini-USB plug, the port thinks that the Pandora should act as a device instead of a host, so a mouse connected through a normal Mini-USB adapter will not work.

Since it is software, that reads the status of this pin, shouldn't it be possible to override this? A button in the control panel would be nice for that.

Mouse with USB A m <--> USB Gender changer f to f <--> USB A m to USB B f cable <--> Pandora USB OTG port

This sounds like a coded refference to a jolly good rodent gang bang. Reminds me a bit of the classic saying, "My best plans to get laid involve mice and men".

Will this adapter work?

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Female-Mini-Male-Adapter/dp/B0016RNX2I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

(how do you know if the pinout for the male side is right?)
Not sure if this applies as I have never needed to use one but the following part of a review seemed like something that might be good to bring to your attention. Please forgive if this means nothing at all but not knowing either way it seemed at least good to bring up just in case.

from reviewer

"the lip on the USB A female side of the adaptor which prevents this adaptor from plugging into any USB port. A cable will slide into this adaptor, but you cannot use this adaptor to connect directly to a USB port. I have noticed this defect on several adaptors listed here on Amazon. The Manhattan adapptor does not have this lip, so I have ordered this adaptor to try."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back