Will This Kill My Gp32

S

sebastian_insua

I often use a regulated DC power pack with my GP32 that runs at the voltages 1.5v, 3v, 4.5v and so on....

I find that the FLU is very bright (which i like) on 4.5V but i was wondering in how this would affect the life expectancy of my GP32 (as it still feels very stable and doesn't get hot/feel like its burning or anything....

i used 4.5v for some time, too and it made my dc power pack useless, but the gp32 was still fine :)
so, better use 3V

You are the kind of guy that fills nitroglycerine in his motorcycles' tank to get some extra speed ... I'll be watching you!

I would not risk it.... anyway, what can u overclock to with it running like that?

i've always been able to overclock to 166mhz, and besides i'm not gonna try and overclock past that with the voltage on 4.5v that really is asking for it.

g8w4y posted on Mar 18 2004 at 05:55 PM said:
When I use my adapter on 3V, the GP32 screen flickers, and sometimes the frontlight doesn't even light.

Could this be because it's unregulated (or doesn't that matter)?

:(
Yes, unregulated will cause flicking

Last edited by a moderator:
To the guy at the beginning, how does the brightness at 4.5v compare to some AA alkalines? The GP32 claims to use 300ma (<-- milliamps) but with a 300ma rated adaptor, i'vehad some flickering in even littlejohn, not much but it indicates not enough power. So if you want to be safe check what the adaptor says, and if its 300ma or less try and find a more powerful (currentful?) 3v adaptor. I think the reason the GP32 isn't dying at 4.5v is because the adaptor doesn't give it enough current.

Unregulated adaptors are often far cheaper to produce, but can permanently damage the gp32. The FLU comes directly from the power source, so more voltage = more light, but it dies quicker. I think the gp itself has a voltage regulator inside that can stand higher voltages (unsure of that last part however).

Back