Wii or PS2 for couch multiplayer (and mods)

Klumpen

Run away! Run away!
Hello guys,

I'm planning to get a cheap Wii (and/) or PS2 and some games mostly for multiplayer stuff on my beamer, because my PC crashes sometime, when mutiple gamepads are attached and played intensely at the same time, I got no clue why, it happens mostly with Zsnes and PJ64 and in Windows and Linux (Zsnes).

I heard, that there is a way to play the GameCube games on the Wii and a mod for playing them directly via HDD, do you know how it can be done?

And how would a PS2 do the job? Can it play PS1 and backups too? Would be my favourite alternative.

This is no joke: Since my Diablo2-video cd broke while getting it out of the very tight case, I got very fond of backups,

especcially for originals that are not so easy or cheap to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard, that there is a way to play the GameCube games on the Wii and a mod for playing them directly via HDD, do you know how it can be done?
You have to be carefull about the WII - Version, later models don't support GameCube anymore. Hacking the Wii is really easy nowadays, just have a look at wii-hombrew dot com.

You have to be carefull about the WII - Version, later models don't support GameCube anymore. Hacking the Wii is really easy nowadays
Oh, I didn't know that, because you don't see any version numbers or something like that.

How do you recognize the version? GameCube is important for me.

Is it possible to get the new version to play GameCube in case I get one of those?

If someone in my area wants to get rid of a modded PS2 or Wii I'd be very interested of course.

Oh, I didn't know that, because you don't see any version numbers or something like that.

The Wii I got had the controller ports under a lid on top of the case. Afaik if they aren't there anymore the particular Wii does not support it.
Edit: It looks like a clear/visible indicator is how the button/port descriptions are facing. If they are printed on so that you can read them while the Wii lies flat on a table its the new version. If they are printed on the Wii so you can read them while the Wii stands vertically its the old model.

Hey Klumpen!

The only wii versions you want to avoid is the red ones. Other than that, all the other models are hackable. I have hacked a red version once before, but I don't remember it being very easy. I don't even use my wii anymore, I would sell it, it is hacked to death, everything is completely customizable from moving the disc channel to playing backup games, to playing foreign discs with no lack of performance.  The only problem is my wifi is completely burned out. I hacked it so bad that I was able to play any backup game online (normally you can't) and I placed the mario kart channel on which uses the wifi all the time. When you cause the console to do unnatural things, sometimes it causes it to work twice as hard. After a long diagnostic (which took forever to figure out) I found out that the wifi was completely worn out. It won't connect to anything anymore...

oh well.

A PS2 can be softmodded pretty easily to accept usb backups. With a slim model you will need someone who can create a memorycard for you or an actionreplay cd.

The Wii I got had the controller ports under a lid on top of the case. Afaik if they aren't there anymore the particular Wii does not support it.

Edit: It looks like a clear/visible indicator is how the button/port descriptions are facing. If they are printed on so that you can read them while the Wii lies flat on a table its the new version. If they are printed on the Wii so you can read them while the Wii stands vertically its the old model.
While this is the easy answer - it's not strictly true.

Basically only the memory card and controller connections have been removed but the MIOS is still there and with a disc adaptor/homebrew software you can still run the GameCube games.

People have modded controller/memcard ports back onto the newer Wiis and also I believe Diivolution allows you to use a ClassicController for GameCube (But you need to verify your original discs)

But... the safest bet is to make sure you get a Wii with GameCube ports...

A PS2 can be softmodded pretty easily to accept usb backups. With a slim model you will need someone who can create a memorycard for you or an actionreplay cd.
What mcobit says. I'm certain that if the need came up, there would be people on this board who could help you create a memory card with Free McBoot on. Certain. :)

get both, i still have both wii Gamecube support makes things fun but be aware they are discontinuing standard internet access for wii's in the very near future (however you'll still be able to use the Nintendo eShop) there are great games for both the Wii and the PS2 (especially if you count all the awesome cube games you can play) and both consoles cost practically nothing now.

How can you get a soft modded wii to run gamecube roms/isos from an SD card?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

I find outside of gaming the Wii also makes good media device on my Retro TV setup.. Has Netflix, Amazon, Youtube and Hulu streaming support.

Gamecube multiplayer backups? you should get Bomberman Generation!

I had a lot of fun with Wii and Gamecube multiplayer with my brother.

Smash Bros

Mario Kart

Mario Tennis

F-Zero!

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (yes, really)

Don't remember the rest.

I believe Diivolution allows you to use a ClassicController for GameCube (But you need to verify your original discs)
What's meant with "verify"?

I don't want to use any internet access with a console. My 3DS was never online either.

So I need to ask all those eBay people for the GameCube ports.

Is there a big advantage having the old PS2 over the slim version besides having to mod the later one it a bit differently, like PS1 support?

I've found the old fat PS2s to be a bit more stable, in terms of being able to read more scratchy discs, and so on. But that might just be my samples.

Also, if you manage to get hold of an internet adapter, the fat PS2 will be able to mount an internal hard drive. Whether that is desirable is open to debate :) but it is a difference.

I believe Diivolution allows you to use a ClassicController for GameCube (But you need to verify your original discs)
What's meant with "verify"?

I don't want to use any internet access with a console. My 3DS was never online either.

So I need to ask all those eBay people for the GameCube ports.

Is there a big advantage having the old PS2 over the slim version besides having to mod the later one it a bit differently, like PS1 support?
Diivolution comes with Anti-Piracy stuff so you have to verify your GameCube discs the first time you use them. This is made trickier on a newer Wii without the GameCube ports.

If you get a GameCube compatible Wii, you can just install DIOS MIOS and not hav to worry about verifying your discs...

What mcobit says. I'm certain that if the need came up, there would be people on this board who could help you create a memory card with Free McBoot on. Certain. :)
hi guys, for PS2 stuff check out PSX-SCENE.com . i have been doing FMCB installs for Australia for a few years now. any info you need you can pm me or i use the same username on the PS2 site.

you have to be careful with the slims as the 900xx model had the bios changed in 2nd quarter 2008 and FMCB no longer boots on these models.

I've found the old fat PS2s to be a bit more stable, in terms of being able to read more scratchy discs, and so on. But that might just be my samples.

Also, if you manage to get hold of an internet adapter, the fat PS2 will be able to mount an internal hard drive. Whether that is desirable is open to debate :) but it is a difference.
much more desirable. if you can get a network adaptor you will need an IDE HDD . WD drives require a slight mod to the adaptor to fit . otherwise i have a 500Gb Hitachi HDD in my PS2 with 170 games on it.

There is also a new version out called FHDB where you can boot direct from the internal HDD. the slims will have to load games either from a network share or from a USB HDD. neither of which is ideal as the USB is only 1.1 on the PS2 and doesent reach the full 1.1 speeds giving choppy playback of FMV and even in some game play. the network share method is better but can still have stutter problems.

Has anyone got playing gamecube roms from usb/sd card working on the wii?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

*sigh*

I got a used black Wii with 4 GameCube ports now, but it has Firmware 4.3a and it seems, that it cannot be modded without an exploit of a now expensive and rare game (Lego Indiana Jones).

Is there an easy and safe way to downgrade to firmware 4.1 or something like that?

Back