Wifi Sticks For The Cradle

DBH

Website
nicholas.piresonline.com
I would search but I only have a 45 minute lunch break (and I want to go for a walk :p) soo out of interest can anyone tell me what Wifi sticks (or chipset specific ones along with which brand if you know etc) got drivers / can work with the GP2X as I plan to get a usb stick soon along with the mini keyboard (knew I shouldn't have put it up on here it's on pre-order now :()

Thanks!

DBH said:
I would search but I only have a 45 minute lunch break (and I want to go for a walk :p) soo out of interest can anyone tell me what Wifi sticks (or chipset specific ones along with which brand if you know etc) got drivers / can work with the GP2X as I plan to get a usb stick soon along with the mini keyboard (knew I shouldn't have put it up on here it's on pre-order now :()

Thanks!

Lazyness gets you everywhere :p

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/WirelessUSBTutorial

Took me about, oooh 10 seconds? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I actually did read that but was wondering if there were any other ones other than that Dlink stick... (yes I should have said) got to be something better than the RT2570 chipset?? (unless that can do 108mbps as well ??) Hmm...

yodaofborg said:
DBH said:

Thanks!

Lazyness gets you everywhere :p

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/WirelessUSBTutorial

Took me about, oooh 10 seconds? :p

I have same wifi stick thingy as used in the tutorial, maybe I should someday try this :lol:
I just don't get why gp2x would need wifi support

DBH said:
How can you say such a ludacris thing... everything needs wifi ! even a pen! or a toothpick...
I use wifi with 2 computers, laptop, wii and 2 DS but I just really don't get what in the hell are you going to do with it with gp2x :unsure:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware

Just a little something that might be useful for anyone trying to find the right stick.

I also have a module for the zd1211 I can't remember where I found it - but hey google turns it up
http://mitglied.lycos.de/reimerdaniel/zd1211.7z

I have four wifi sticks, two of them are belkin, a zd1211b and an rt2751. So I haven't managed the whole wifi thing yet. I gave up decided that sometime I would just figure out how to compile a module for the zd1211b of which I have two... Btw with some firmware (of the dongle), you could possibly reduce the transmitter power, allowing it to run of the supposed 100mA the Gp2x Mk2 can supply.

...As regards use, I have a server running 24/7 in my attic, It would be nice to be able to use the GP2x as a mobile media station...

I'm almost certain I have the module for a third wifi stick, but I can't find in on my badly arranged filesystem...

Gaeryc said:
DBH said:
How can you say such a ludacris thing... everything needs wifi ! even a pen! or a toothpick...
I use wifi with 2 computers, laptop, wii and 2 DS but I just really don't get what in the hell are you going to do with it with gp2x :unsure:

Web browser with hard drive for saving shit.

Nova said:
Gaeryc said:
DBH said:

Web browser with hard drive for saving shit.

The ability to update programs & the firmware easier,

Media streaming from the internet & over lan (podcasts, internet radio, web-tv),

Multi-player games over the internet for emulators & homebrew,

Video conferencing on the move,

The ability to view gaming stats, clan ladders etc. that are hosted online,

You could have a software clock on the 2x that updates from the internet when you boot up or connect to the internet, bypassing the need to have a hardware one built in that drains the batteries when the units turned off (people seem to want an in-built clock for some reason?),

The question should be.. why wouldn't anyone want wifi?

Back