WiFi Dongle

Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

Yesterday I got me this wifi dongle for €5,99

http://www.maxxter.biz/default.aspx?op=products&op2=item&id=8280

Do I have to do anything to make it work on my Pandora? I tried switching the internal wifi off with the switch in the menu but then the network manager can't see any networks anymore.

dmesg finds it and it shows up when I type lsusb too

iwconfig says usb0 - no wireless extensions.

Is the stick incompatible or do I need to do something else to load a driver or something?

Thanks in advance for any help 

I have a working dongle, and iwconfig also says that for usb0, but I have an extra wlan1 entry with all displayed.

Maybe I pop by the Action and buy one myself? http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/index.php?topic=86132.0

Anyway, go to your /lib/firmware/ directory. See those rt*.bin files? Well, in the CD you got with it, there is a rtl8192EU_linux_v4.2.2_7585.20130524.tar.gz might as well use the installer inside that to get the firmware for your driver inside this directory. (then remove, count one long second, and put the USB back in). It should could work (as advertized).

edit, putting this here, just in case the precompiled is outdated or needs recompiling from source: http://forum.osmc.tv/showthread.php?tid=14299

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried connecting it though a powered usb hub? as i understand it your average usb 2.0 device wont work out of the box due to some usb power thing (yeah im not an expert but have seen it enough as a suggestion on the forums for it to be a known quirk of the pandora)

Have you tried connecting it though a powered usb hub? as i understand it your average usb 2.0 device wont work out of the box due to some usb power thing (yeah im not an expert but have seen it enough as a suggestion on the forums for it to be a known quirk of the pandora)
Nope, USB 1.1 and USB 1.0 devices won't work. USB 2.0 will. Pandora's USB port is USB 2.0 /only/ (i.e. doesn't support the older variants).And it's not about power, it's because some necessary control chip is missing.

Well that WiFi dongle is USB 2.0.. so it should work without a HUB.. 

May be a dumb question have you toggled on the USB host?, it's typically off by default.

Occasionally Notaz adds more Wifi drivers, are you running the latest firmware..

lastly could you run dmesg on the command line and share the output.

New USB device found: idVendor=0bda, idProduct=818b

New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, Serialnumber=3

Product 802.11n NIC

Manufacturer: Realtek

SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

Sorry, I tried the install.sh but it returns an error and cant create the driver :( It says to look at the error message to see where it went wrong but I have no clue on where to find it.

Sorry, I'm a complete Linux noob :(

Sorry, I tried the install.sh but it returns an error and cant create the driver :( It says to look at the error message to see where it went wrong but I have no clue on where to find it.

That install.sh script most likely failed because the default firmware lacks the compiling tools and kernel development stuff you would need to build the driver, perhaps it could be built with the Code::Blocks PND, but it's may not be as easy as running that script. 

I'm sure that the dmesg log would have a bit more than just that if it was failing..  is there anything else in there that may hint to why it's failing. 

That install.sh script most likely failed because the default firmware lacks the compiling tools and kernel development stuff you would need to build the driver, perhaps it could be built with the Code::Blocks PND, but it's may not be as easy as running that script. 

I'm sure that the dmesg log would have a bit more than just that if it was failing..  is there anything else in there that may hint to why it's failing. 
For that, it's better to use the embeded compiler, with codeblocks, you may have "too new" libs. Notaz as made a package for that IIRC. Got to get the package name (I forgot it), but then with a sudo opkg install package you will have it.

*EDIT*

Go there: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16689-minimalistic-c-dev-environment-on-nand/

Last edited by a moderator:
Compiled it for you, if you can confirm it works, it will be included in next firmware.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/misc/pnd/ko/3.2.63/

Note that USB stick interface names are not usbX, like FBnil said it should be wlan1.

In either case NetworkManager should just it pick it up automagically.
Awesome, thank you so much :)

I will try the driver tonight. How do I install this file? Just copy to /libs/firmware?

First try it:

sudo insmod /path/to/8192eu.ko

if it works, you can copy it to /lib/modules/3.2.63/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ and run "sudo depmod", after that it should autoload when you enable USB host and plug the stick in.

Back