Wifi Capability

Enverex

Website
robotbutler.org
I'm just looking to get a little more info on the WiFi built in to the Pandora, what sort of power are we looking at here? Good range? Is the chip known to function well compared to workhorse cards like the Intel Integrated series? Also does it have the capability to go into promiscuous mode? (although I believe that may be a driver related issue rather than hardware). Just curious about what the WiFi will be like really.

The actual Wifi chipset has been disclosed if you want to look it up. The aerial is said to be around the screen so the reception should be good. Promiscuous mode is a driver function.

Squidge said:
The actual Wifi chipset has been disclosed

Damned if I can find the details. Searching the Wiki or the forum doesn't turn up any specifics. I'm probably being dense and it's likely to be somewhere obvious but I'm just not seeing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't many specifics that I can find on the pages themselves (at least at a glance :p), but a recent thread where CE/FCC certification came up had this link and this link, if that's of any help.

It's the same BT/wifi chip as in the G1. I have a G1 and the wifi range is "acceptable", but not great. This has a lot more to do with the antenna than the chip itself though. The G1 has a tiny, internal antenna. It's not nearly as long as the one in the Pandora, nor as optimally located.

Chip said:
The G1 has a tiny, internal antenna. It's not nearly as long as the one in the Pandora, nor as optimally located.
Oh my, will we have antenna length comparisons in the handheld showers now?

Take the random OT spamming elsewhere please guys.

Chip: Any ideas what the chip make/model is? All I can find on the G1 is the same copy-paste as the Android of "Bluetooth 2.0, IEEE 802.11 b/g" with no further details.

According to the links from before, it appears to be a "WG7210-00 (WLAN/BT combo module)" from Jorjin Technologies Inc.. :p

Prometheus said:
No problem. :)

I just noticed your post from before, not sure how I missed it earlier, I think it's because I was checking the thread on my phone initially and only saw Chip's post rather than yours above it, so just pointing out I wasn't ignoring it.

Ah, I was wondering if something like that had happened. Good to know it wasn't ignored. :lol:

The first affordable touchscreen portable device which supports:

802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi LAN Adapter

will get my order/s

anyone care for this feature ??

w#F# said:
The first affordable touchscreen portable device which supports:

802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi LAN Adapter

will get my order/s

anyone care for this feature ??
Given that the Pandora has a built in WiFi and Bluetooth module, it's ability to use a USB adapter is somewhere near the bottom of my list of desires, right around "a boot to the face" :p
That being said, if we were to assume that the Pandora did not have built in WiFi, I know of at least one USB adapter that would have no problem working: my Airlink 101 uses the RT2870 chipset. The drivers for the RT2870 are open source (or at least the source is available) and compile perfectly for use with my BeagleBoard.
So there you go, two options (at least) for WiFi: builtin module, or an Airlink (or other RT2870 based) USB adapter.

Back