Why is YouTube that weird?

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, every once in a while, YouTube offers Revenue sharing for some videos.

I always think "hey, why not accept them, might help the Pandora a bit" and try submitting it - but I always get the same eMail back.

Same here:

Dear EvilDragon1717,

Thanks for submitting your video "Pandora - One vid per day 5: Surfing the Net with Windows Mobile and Bluetooth" for revenue sharing. We have disabled revenue sharing on this video for one of the following reasons:

- You have not provided adequate documentation that you have the necessary rights to commercially use all the video material and music

- Advertisers on YouTube are currently looking to advertise next to family safe content

Please note that we reserve the right to make the final determination on whether to enable revenue sharing for a video.

Thanks for your understanding,

The YouTube Team

Now I wonder... there's no music in there and I told them I created the complete video myself, so I surely have the rights to commercially use it.... is that not enough as proof?

How can you PROOF you did it yourself? :)

The second thing is even weirder... WHAT in this video is not family safe?

The windows mobile phone? The internet browsing?

All very weird :D

Last edited by a moderator:
FCC compliance? your long hippie hair? your INSANE open-source ideas? this is not what the rest of the world want to remember your germans for.....(im sorry if that was offensive)

The second thing is even weirder... WHAT in this video is not family safe?
Videa games are da tool of da devil! They make dem chilluns steal da guns and shoot up da schools! :p (very poor text representation of a very poor "ultra religious southern hillbilly" type accent)

It's more easily understandable with the videos consisting of playing games, because maybe they think you need some sort of permission to use those games in a video and get money for it. However, I don't see what they possibly could have to complain about in the BT or PND episodes. The startup *Wooooooshhhh* sound? I assume you have tried to ask them?

And maybe that's just a standard robot response to anything not coming from someone who has already been approved...

Yeah, they are just weird... I don't understand why they would offer revenue sharing in the first place, if they are only going to say no!

EDIT: duped message.

And maybe that's just a standard robot response to anything not coming from someone who has already been approved...

Thats what I would think, but... there has to be more on their list of "why we won't revenue share with person X" so its weird those specific ones are on there.

Have you tried responding to their claim, quoting the parts of the problems they had?

FCC compliance? your long hippie hair? your INSANE open-source ideas? this is not what the rest of the world want to remember your germans for.....(im sorry if that was offensive)

I think it's EvilDragons incredibly tight t-shirt, show some decency man :unsure:

Thats what I would think, but... there has to be more on their list of "why we won't revenue share with person X" so its weird those specific ones are on there.

Have you tried responding to their claim, quoting the parts of the problems they had?

Yeah, with previous videos. They never reply :)

It's the fact that they know they have control. If youtube became a problem, what if you just distributed your video files over torrent?

...What? I would have imagined an "M" rated game would be less family friendly than a video about surfing the internet.. Or that Nintenon't would have started complaining about you showing off emulators. But this?

Youtube has never defined what it mean by "Permission to use video/music content" The only way I think of that applies is your filming of roms, but that makes no sense. Just look at Machina. They put revenue generators in almost all of their videos of video games.

The other thing I can think of is that the "advertising section" doesn't want to encourage (direct/indirect) the use of illegal rom downloading. That could loosely explain the "family friendly" portion of the email. (I know, the classic "is an emulator legal debate".) That doesn't explain the other videos showcasing anything else, however.

It's the fact that they know they have control. If youtube became a problem, what if you just distributed your video files over torrent?
For web viewing, how about hosting them yourself and embedding them using the HTML5 video tag? You can offer them in several formats (h.264, webm, ogg/theora) with a single element using multiple source elements (as described here) so they work for everyone.

EDIT: Oh, and you can use the placeholder text to provide a flash player for the HTML5-less

I thought you couldn't get money off of youtube unless you had over 100k views.

Well, as long as there are at least 60 people that want to torrent the file that don't work for Disney or any other company I block their IPs then it is good enough for me, I'd share it for 24 hours or more if people complained about seeds.

For web viewing, how about hosting them yourself and embedding them using the HTML5 video tag? You can offer them in several formats (h.264, webm, ogg/theora) with a single element using multiple source elements (as described here) so they work for everyone.

EDIT: Oh, and you can use the placeholder text to provide a flash player for the HTML5-less
That would be quite awesome. Does the Pandora support HTML5 video in Chromium?

I know I'm necroposting, but I just have to say this...

Someone I'm subscribed to (or was subscribed to, I'm not sure) on YouTube who is a partner once said something about this. Apparently, YouTube is VERY particular about your word choice in your statements about rights to the videos. He/she actually gave a couple very specific statements you should pretty much copy/paste.

Back