Why I'm Very Wary Of Buying A Gp2x Now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

xabovex

Still Fresh
Well I have very interested in the GP2x. The promise of emulation and a portable media center that could hook up to my tv (i could use it for all the tv torrents I download)... but the US launch has seemed all but lackluster. not one person from the US has posted a picture of their unit, I've only seen pictures that look more or less professionally done than the actual unit in anyone's hands. THen I find out there are a huge list of problems with the thing! Batteries, screen, 2 gb sd card problem, the headphone jack, people are saying that its made using non government sanctioned machinery, uses cheap LCD screens and the soldering job is rushed and poor. Why would I waste my money when I hear all of this and have yet to see how good the thing is. there has yet to be a truthful review about it.

I'm not sure what you want to accomplish with your post?
1. It's hard to post pictures when no one in the US has received their unit yet.
2. If you're unsure and haven't ordered yet. Why not just wait a while and see how things turn out?

Er... Only devs in the US have them, buddy. Those units with problems are a small portion of the 500 Korean pre-orders. And do recall all of those problems present on all units are firmware related and solved with ease similar to that of flipping a lightswitch.

No one in the U.S. has gotten their units yet.

I've seen several videos of a GP2X in actual human hands, manipulating buttons and playing emus.

Seems to me that you should maybe wait until after the minor problems get worked out ... if you're put off by them.

I pre-ordered mine as soon as GP32Z became the official U.S. retailer ... I'm willing & able to upgrade firmware to fix minor issues ...

Has it technically being launched in the US?? From what I gather, the first few hundred units that are out now are for the Korean home market. We in the west will be getting ours shortly, perhaps the next week or two -- then you'll see photographs and reviews and such.
Chances are that the second batch (the ones for export) will have some of their problems solved.
Don't panic, I remember all sorts of quality issues with the GP32, yet both of mine have outlived my PS2's optical drive.

And rest assured they are not "cheap" (as in poor quality) LCD screens.

They are the same as the GP32 BLU's, which is the best overall LCD I have ever seen on a handheld device. Bright, sharp and clear, with NO ghosting or blur.

You will be stunned with how good it looks, especially while playing games.

Are you kidding me? I saw those pictures of the Gp2x!!! The batteries don't work, and most of them don't even have cases! You only get the PCB with everything soldered on!!!! OMG! I saw one that didn't even have the screen!

Oh wait... those were dev boards huh? :rolleyes:

We (US) should be getting ours by the end of next week at most. The first batch arrives to gp32z this week.

I'm desperate refreshing the forums... wasting my time looking at all the useless posts that are full of it... people afraid of "issues" they cannot even confirm...

cheer up everybody, where is the positiveness? dont be so negative!

At least they used a less glossy finish on the case ... no more OCD-type cleaning everytime you use the system (*cough*psp*cough)

</positive comment>

Hmm I had wondered if any units arrived in the US yet. All we can do is wait I guess. Has anyone given a good estimate on gbax shipping international 48 hour to the USA yet? ^ _ ^

Edit: With all this fuss.... it seems the GP2X will be alot bigger than the GP32 was initially. Do we have any estimates on just how many have been ordered from the various disties yet? (omflmfao 999,999,999 units backed up till 2010)

Well, Craig from gbax said, that if one calculates final unit numbers based on the preorders, GP2X sales might actually be a percent or so of the whole handheld market. B)

Not in so many words.

If anyone wants "cutting edge" news check out GP32Spain. They are really going wild over it there and there is all kinds of emu info. H.G.

Ill get flamed for this, but can you give me the link to their site? As I never visited there before. Only here for the past 3 months.

i know in the 2 batches there are supposed to be 8000 units and that almost all of first batch(i think 1st batch was 5k units) was preordered! thats almost 1/6 of all gp32 sales right there!

gp32spain.com !
spanish isn't too far from english, going to go there now :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back