Why Do Certain Emulators Not Have Full Screen?

DRED

Still Fresh
I can't seem to figure out why certain emulators are not full screen, like sega master system, super nintendo, while genesis is full screen.
The screen is small enough, and to not have the games full screen...

Can someone tell me the exact reason why the emulators are not full screen?

DRED said:
I can't seem to figure out why certain emulators are not full screen, like sega master system, super nintendo, while genesis is full screen.
The screen is small enough, and to not have the games full screen...

Can someone tell me the exact reason why the emulators are not full screen?
Because emulated game systems don't have the exact resolution on the Wiz. SNES is 256*224 While the Wiz is higher at 320 x 240. You can see that if mapped 1:1 it won't use up all of the pixels on the wiz screen making them not full screen.

Genesis is 320 x 224 which is pretty close to the Wiz resolution so it fills the screen more.

There are scaling modes on some to get fullscreen but you will notice they look blocky (or blurry) because 320 doesn't go into 256 evenly. In this case you have to double some pixels while others are not doubled. This un-evenness will cause distortion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will there be a way to work around this without getting distoration?

DRED said:

The way around this, is not to use fullscreen. You cant add more pixels to the screen software-wise ;)

Madman said:
DRED said:

The way around this, is not to use fullscreen. You cant add more pixels to the screen software-wise ;)

Something doesn't seem right or maybe my information is wrong, If the Wiz screen is 4:3, and standard TV screens that these old consoles played on are 4:3, shouldn't it use some sort of scaling where it will fit inside the screen properly?

I know there is a problem with playing 4:3 movies or software on my 16:9 wide screen LCD computer monitor, but that is because I have a widescreen monitor. The wiz screen is not a widescreen. Am I missing something here?

DRED said:
Madman said:
DRED said:

Something doesn't seem right or maybe my information is wrong, If the Wiz screen is 4:3, and standard TV screens that these old consoles played on are 4:3, shouldn't it use some sort of scaling where it will fit inside the screen properly?

I know there is a problem with playing 4:3 movies or software on my 16:9 wide screen LCD computer monitor, but that is because I have a widescreen monitor. The wiz screen is not a widescreen. Am I missing something here?

Yes, TVs weren't a set resolution so you have the old consoles using all types of screen modes. With LCDs you need to scale them properly, which means either running at native resolution (the res the LCD was designed for, 320x240 with the Wiz) or multiples thereof. If you try and make an image that is say, 290x200 larger on the Wiz then some parts of the screen will have their pixels doubled where as others wont (as to double them all you'd need a 640x480 screen). So you end up getting random bits looking out of place, blurred or strangely blocky compared to everything else.

Exactly. Compared to CRT monitors, which could ran virtually all resolutions, TFT, LCD and OLED displays like the one on the Wiz, need a fixed resolution

DRED said:
Madman said:
DRED said:

You are talking about aspect when you mention "4:3". That isn't the problem, the problem is that the resolutions of old consoles and the Wiz are not the same.

Yes you can use "some sort of scaling where it will fit inside the screen properly" but then you get the distortion because as was said some pixels are doubled while others are not etc.

tbh i wisha these emus had the option of scaleing because it all sopisses me for that they dont run full screen

Audi said:
tbh i wisha these emus had the option of scaleing because it all sopisses me for that they dont run full screen

I actually noticed that SNES has scaling. It does look decent, however you can see how it gets distorted when letters are on the screen. Optimally you probably don't want to stretch the screen. What we really need is just a bigger screen, this way if the game is not full screen it will still be larger.

I just discovered using a head magnifier set makes a huge difference. :ph34r:
Especially with It Came From The Desert where you cannot read, unless you are an ant. :blink:

Back