Who Is Going To Get Ubuntu 10.4 Today?

second exodous

Advanced Member
Well, I'm an Ubuntu user and have always gotten the latest release the day after but today I'm not working and eagerly awaiting it. I have a spare drive I'll install on to see how it works on my hardware and then I'll move it over to my main drive.

Is anyone else excited? 9.10 has been great for me, I hope that 10.4 is as good.

EDIT: The exact release time is up in the air, it will be released today but there was a bug where grub wouldn't display other operating systems in the boot menu, including Linux, so the .iso images are being re-spun right now. Not a problem for me, I have a spare drive and Ubuntu is the only OS I currently use but it's nice for everyone else.

I've always found the LTS releases to be... less aggressive than the non LTS releases. Therefore, I don't expect much out of 10.4, and I'm not as excited. I could be surprised though. I really do need to reinstall from scratch on my main desktop. It's been upgraded from 8.4 up through 9.10 and the poor thing is starting to show some eccentricities from all the poking and mangling I've subjected it to over the years. I will be installing 10.4 on it this weekend... probably.

^ yeah, I hear ya. LTS releases are usually the safest, but I like the .04 releases better than the .10 releases. The only releases I had problems with are the .10, it seems that in those they always try something new that breaks it for a wile and you might as well wait for as much as a month before updating. I'm told that is not the case but it just seems that way to me.

10.04 won't be my main install, it has to prove itself first. I have two OS drives in my computer, my main one and then my trial one. The new release goes on my trial drive and I use it as much as possible to see if it can replace my main OS. I have Feebe for firefox so everything gets carried over as far as internet. I also mount the main OS drive and pull other things off of there to use.

So I'm going to give 10.04 a try and see how things go. It looks like it's even more delayed now, I wonder if it will be out before midnight UTC time tonight. . .

Up until a few days ago I was set on dualbooting the new Ubuntu along Debian. But it seems like the latest Debian stable (5.0.4) fits me so well, that I'm starting to lose interest. Maybe I'll wait for a few months, as so many recommend, and let them iron everything out some more.

I like the idea of using recent versions of everything, but on the other hand, if older releases work so well, is it worth the hassle?

If they had a proper LTS -> LTS upgrade path that didn't involve upgrading to the intermediary editions first, I probably would. As it is, I'll wait a bit before taking the time to make sure I've got a proper backup and recovery procedure.

I'll probably first wait to see how catastrophic it is. The forced release cycle has a way of seriously breaking stuff.

Well, I've been using it since it came out and it works great. . . Except for installing graphics drivers for ati chipsets. I think I feel the same way about moving from 9.04 to 9.10, its better, but I'll give it a few weeks for things to be sorted out. I can still go back to 9.10 easily since I still have it so I'll spend all my time in 9.10 that I spend for graphic card critale stuff (games is all pretty much) but boot into 10.04 for everything else.

It is always like this though, Ubuntu is never perfect from release date, it takes a while to iron things out. Not that big of a deal for me as I always install on a second drive to try it out and then just use the drive that had my previous install to link things/pull things off of.

I used the firefox extension febe so browser-wise I didn't need to start over on bookmarks, add-ons, or even the tabs I had open in 9.10, so that was nice. I haven't installed wine yet, pretty much because I use it for a few games and DVDFab. I'll install it with DVDFab when I get my Daria complete series box set that comes out this month, I'll rip and encode them. I also haven't installed my favorite encoder Handbrake yet, once again when I get my Daria box set in a few weeks I will.

What do I like so far? The boot is nice, takes seconds, and right out of boot it takes second to start up firefox. I haven't timed it but I think you can be in firefox within well under a miniute of pressing the computers power button. It also shuts down extremely fast, not something a lot of people brag about, but it's fast. Speed is just all around better in 10.04, every thing opens faster. Openoffice starts up in 5 seconds, never seen it start up that fast. I never liked Rhythmbox before but I think I'll stick to it for now, it seems a lot better than last time I remember it. I'm joining Magnatune because of it, I've been listening to it since I got 10.04 installed and there is some good stuff on it, I'm just getting annoyed by the Magnatune guy telling me I'm using Magnatune between every track, it makes it very hard to enjoy classical music. Right now all the programs installed are bleeding edge, but I'm sure they won't stay that way and I'll have to add some PPAs to keep everything up to date. I've used Pidgin in the past and hated Empathy but it's growing on me. Empathy still can't do voice through gtalk but Empathy is tied into Ubuntu in places that I might stick to it and just use firefox for gtalk when I do voice.

THEY GOT RID OF THAT HORRID ORANGE COLOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There still is a little bit of orange left, the folders and such, but it's been cut by 90%. I hope in 10.10 orange will be a thing of the past, it's just so ugly.

The second biggest positive in my eyes is the Ubuntu Software Center is able to install more than one thing at once. I've stuck to Synaptic Package Manager because of this but might be using the Software Center more now.

So what don't I like. Well, not that much has changed really, it's just faster, so if you liked 9.04 or 9.10 then you'll like 10.04. That being said the ati driver thing drives me nuts, I've tried multiple ways to get the latest installed and none have worked, that will be fixed though. The other thing is they moved the close, minimize, and maximize to the left in the default theme. You can change the theme but the two best themes as default, Ambiance and Radiance, have buttons on the left. It's funny that I even use the default themes right now because in the past I had to change it to avoid orange.

Well, I doubt anyone takes the time to read this but oh well, I wrote it anyway. If you have never tired Linux or even if you tried it in the past I'd give 10.04 a try, Linux is getting easier and better looking all the time and Ubuntu is probably the best way to try it. I like how I don't need to be paranoid about viruses on Linux and have to install anti-virus software that slows the system down and doesn't really work anyway. Oh yeah, and its free. On top of those I can do everything in Linux that I can do in Windows, there is wine so really there isn't anything I can't do. And no Apple tax either. Just my two cents.

I upgraded without reinstalling this weekend on my personal laptop and I'm pretty satisfied so far. Boot is indeed faster, and a few minor issues I was having seem to have cleared up with the upgrade. I had to move the window buttons back to the left side (I agree with the complainers, this was a stupid move, though Ubuntu Tweak made it easy to fix) and the upgrade broke my custom bootsplash screen, and I had to manually install the kernel with PAE but all those are pretty minor IMO. I don't have any major complaints but it's only been a couple of days so we'll see how it goes I guess.

Now i have 10.04 on my pc, the good thing is: it is a bit faster, the baad thing is: the X Button in the Window is now on the left side, quite usfull for lefthanders, but if you move the mouse whit the right hand, it is a bit confusing and not realy usefull.., but i think it must go..

matzesu said:
Now i have 10.04 on my pc, the good thing is: it is a bit faster, the baad thing is: the X Button in the Window is now on the left side, quite usfull for lefthanders, but if you move the mouse whit the right hand, it is a bit confusing and not realy usefull.., but i think it must go..

Install Ubuntu Tweak. It takes about five seconds after that to put the buttons on the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
matzesu said:

Install Ubuntu Tweak. It takes about five seconds after that to put the buttons on the right side.

No problem, i have change it too Human, now is all on his old place :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
i upgraded from 9.10 and .. well, i attempted to upgrade from 9.10 and it didn't like the 'bleeding edge' ati drivers i had installed earlier. wanting to see what the new installer was like, i just did a clean install of 10.04 and... what is up with my graphics?? it's acting like no accelerated graphics driver is installed (slow refresh, very laggy desktop, glxgears just chugs - overall absolutely painful to use and look at) but all my usual interrogations of the Mesa open source ATI driver is showing that it is installed. i even enabled KMS - no luck. i had no issues like this in the previous Ubuntu distros, so i have no idea what is going on here. my video card is a Radeon X1600, if that helps at all. (and like i said, i had decent 3D acceleration with the open source driver before i tried Lucid.) laaaaame

Back