Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OMars

Very Active Member
Website
Visit site
I want to port an emulator after I have had experience programming in the summer. I put down only a few but feel free to suggest a system. :)

Thanks in advance, :) I have hard times deciding on things <_<

chris_r

You'd be lucky to understand how an emulator is coded by the summer even if u started learning now.

Ravnos

Asleep in Samsara
Website
Visit site
Emulation's not a simple task. I think your typing fingers are writing a cheque your ass can't cash. It'll probably take you more than a summer to get to a level where you can even port an emulator if you've never programmed before, unless you don't go outside or do anything else. If you're really set on it, you'll probably want to go with the NES if only because there are a lot of emulators out there for it with plenty of source available. It's better documented than most machines as well.

Of course, I say all this as someone who's never written an emulator. However, that's mostly because I understand the level of skill required. It's not like you'll wake up one morning and be like "It's a beautiful day out today. I'm going to code an emu and then go for brunch." Not unless you want to put out a buggy and incomplete emu, that is.

Hanz™

FIGHT THE POWER! :D
Website
Visit site
You are embarassing, you should port the easiest emulator that you can find. Learn some SDL as well as C, that will make it easier.

yaustar

UK GP32 & GP2X Owner
Website
Visit site
Have you seen his previous posts? I agree with Craigix, find the simplest emulator you can (one that uses SDL would be great) and have a shot at porting that after you learnt how to program.

D.C.

HAHAHA...give the guy a chance :). Who knows, maybe he's a wizzkid gp32_console
But on the other hand: Talk is cheap :p

Mr_Munk

Website
www.notofficial.co.uk
Jesus christ, what does it matter if this guy never makes anything that works at all ? everyone pisses and moans about getting involved, then as soon as someone does, everyone's ready to flame them for being a noob. <_<

Hanz™

FIGHT THE POWER! :D
Website
Visit site
Jesus christ, what does it matter if this guy never makes anything that works at all ? everyone pisses and moans about getting involved, then as soon as someone does, everyone's ready to flame them for being a noob. <_<
It is funnier this way. Now stand aside as I flame.

Last edited by a moderator:

yaustar

UK GP32 & GP2X Owner
Website
Visit site
Previous history wasn't promising. Hopefully he will even if it only runs at 1fps, its all part of learning really...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.