Which OS would you like the the Pandora 2 to run? (THE FAIR VERSION)

Which OS(es) would you like the Pandora 2 to be capable of running??

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

in3D

This is meant to be a fairer version of ashcloud's Poll.

Real classy, this. First post, and you're using a poll to antagonise someone you've never met for a blatantly tongue-in-cheek poll option in another thread. We get it. You like Microsoft Windows 8 and felt a need to sign up here to rubbish someone who made a joke about it.

We'll be keeping an eye on you, as this is quite typical behaviour of paid shills.

For what it's worth, there's nothing inevitable about using Microsoft Windows (especially since the "so much software" you refer to is not compiled for ARM and will not work on an ARM device running Microsoft Windows 8 for this reason, and even more so given that ARM devices running Microsoft Windows 8 must be locked down - this is not a device family where you're likely to see that; The clue is in the name ;) ), and there is nothing fair about your behaviour with respect to this poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not voting - poll forces voter to take sides

Both polls exagerate IMO

If a Microsoft OS could be dual-booted without drastically increasing the cost of the device, I would support it as an alternative to Linux/android.

This seems unlikely to happen in this universe

This seems unlikely to happen
Fixed that for you. ;)

It will never happen, as it is impossible. Quite apart from the pricing issue, Microsoft requires hardware vendors to lock any ARM hardware running Microsoft Windows 8 so that it can never run anything but Microsoft Windows 8. This isn't something you can get around with software "rooting" - it's the hardware itself that's locked, and, though they cannot get away with making manufacturers the same with x86 machines, the user will never be allowed to unlock it on ARM. Dual-booting it cannot be done, by my understanding of it.

It will never happen, as it is impossible. Quite apart from the pricing issue, Microsoft requires hardware vendors to lock any ARM hardware running Microsoft Windows 8 so that it can never run anything but Microsoft Windows 8. This isn't something you can get around with software "rooting" - it's the hardware itself that's locked, and, though they cannot get away with making manufacturers the same with x86 machines, the user will never be allowed to unlock it on ARM. Dual-booting it cannot be done, by my understanding of it.

that seems a too harsh limitation, it wouldn't be strange if they remove this later... do you remember all the discution about a netbook windows version where you can only run 4apps at the same time, where you can't use aero and can't change the desktop image?

^ Yes. They still supply that.

As I said, it's being done this way because, as I understand it, some countries won't prosecute them for anti-trust violations due to the different processor architecture...

It might be a harsh limitation to a user, but you're not their customer. Manufacturers are. And again, it's done in hardware, so you can't just remove it later somehow - the hardware is locked and rendered unable to ever boot anything else.

yes, but they removed the app number limitation... by the way it was 3, not 4 application :)

I know that win8 must be locked down on ARM, but I can imagine Ms relaxing these rules for win9 to compete with Android's "free & open!" image, after win-ce-8-phone-mobile-metro-thingy fails to take the market by storm...

^ That's certainly possible, but I doubt it would help them any! :p

and I can imagine a totally locked down version for the phones, but for ARM based netbook, I doubt a limitation like that will be good... I suspect supporting booting an other OS would require a license that cost more through... that would be so like MS...

No vote for me, this is a bad poll.

Anyway, windows 8 for ARM is a vaporware.

It's all irrelevant as MS on ARM will be just that, an irrelevance. MS missed the party and will now never have a significant share of the market.

People didn't used to use windows on 99% of computers though choice, they did it because there was no real choice.

Real classy, this. First post, and you're using a poll to antagonise someone you've never met for a blatantly tongue-in-cheek poll option in another thread. We get it. You like Microsoft Windows 8 and felt a need to sign up here to rubbish someone who made a joke about it.

We'll be keeping an eye on you, as this is quite typical behaviour of paid shills.

For what it's worth, there's nothing inevitable about using Microsoft Windows (especially since the "so much software" you refer to is not compiled for ARM and will not work on an ARM device running Microsoft Windows 8 for this reason, and even more so given that ARM devices running Microsoft Windows 8 must be locked down - this is not a device family where you're likely to see that; The clue is in the name ;) ), and there is nothing fair about your behaviour with respect to this poll.
Yeah.. I am really sorry. It's just that that post kind of offended me when I wanted the pandora to be capable of running windows 8. I think linux and Android os are really cool. In fact I prefer Mac OS X. Probably one of the main reasons I got mad was that I had no idea that windows 8 would require locked hardware similar to windows ce (I HATE windows ce.) I thought that when ashcloud talked in his poll about "windows 8 locking down the pandora," he meant that it would be embedded. I wanted to pick that option, but I knew no one would agree with me because it would be embedded :unsure: . That frustrated me. But now I realize that I was wrong about it all and I'm sorry. I don't want to sound like a person who works for microsoft :blink: . Any one with administrator privileges, please delete this whole poll because I don't know how...

Yeah.. I am really sorry. It's just that that post kind of offended me when I wanted the pandora to be capable of running windows 8. I think linux and Android os are really cool. In fact I prefer Mac OS X. Probably one of the main reasons I got mad was that I had no idea that windows 8 would require locked hardware similar to windows ce (I HATE windows ce.) I thought that when ashcloud talked in his poll about "windows 8 locking down the pandora," he meant that it would be embedded. I wanted to pick that option, but I knew no one would agree with me because it would be embedded :unsure: . That frustrated me. But now I realize that I was wrong about it all and I'm sorry. I don't want to sound like a person who works for microsoft :blink: . Any one with administrator privileges, please delete this whole poll because I don't know how...
Don't worry about it! :)

We don't typically delete stuff around here unless there's a very pressing reason to do so (normally there'd be a lock and we'd just let it die, if a thread was a problem or the original author wanted it locked, or things just die out on their own). I can discuss this with the other moderators and see what they think, though.

Don't worry about it! :)

We don't typically delete stuff around here unless there's a very pressing reason to do so (normally there'd be a lock and we'd just let it die, if a thread was a problem or the original author wanted it locked, or things just die out on their own). I can discuss this with the other moderators and see what they think, though.
Thanks for understanding. Now... I'm going to work on my pandora 2 concept in SketchUp.

Lol, if I didn't thought about adding a joke to my poll there would have been no windows 8 option at all. Seriously, who wants this on his/her pandora?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back