Which mobile device is good for developing?

zoranc

I am interested in having a small mobile computing device mainly for software development. From that my requirements/wishes are (in order of declining importance):

- Operating system for which I can install g++, svn, etc. Only reasonable choices for that are Linux and probably Windows (not CE). I can consider other device too as long as there is well known way to root it and install Linux.

- Mobility! Small size and battery that lasts at least 2-3 hours on heavy usage. Have a Pandora but the screen cable is almost dead. Have a Sharp Netwalker Z1 but the WiFi just died. Those are both perfect concerning the size. Might go even for a slightly bigger beast but not for a 10" screen netbook.

- A decent keyboard since I will use it to type commands and edit source code. Both Pandora and Netwalker are fine but not optimal. Would be happy if there is a better option.

- Connectivity. would like to sync my sources more than once a day so WiFi is perfect. Bluetooth or LAN are acceptable.

- Screen readable outdoor. Netwalker was perfect, Pandora was good.

I don't care for multimedia, screen resolution, gaming capabilities nor for an App-store. Processor speed is not that important either, however I am not sure if 200 MHz ARM would run g++ at usable speed. Also the price is not my primary concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beside the pandora I dont know any device matching your need. Get yours fixed by EvilDragon and have good codings sessions ;)

Maybe its just me, but the idea of doing any sort of extended coding session on such a small screen and a tiny keyboard sounds painful and inefficient. Personally, I think you might find things very cramped with anything smaller than a netbook.

Maybe its just me, but the idea of doing any sort of extended coding session on such a small screen and a tiny keyboard sounds painful and inefficient. Personally, I think you might find things very cramped with anything smaller than a netbook.

It is maybe not clear in my post but I have already used both Pandora and Netwalker for development on the move. Also I'm mainly happy with them and would like only a better keyboard. And there are reason why I need it, besides the fact that I like it. Also I tried to be maximum precise of my particular needs/requirements.

That out of the way, I would be happy to if you can point me any other such device.

Pandora + maybe bluetooth keyboard?

There are no better options afaik.

Back