Which Mame Games Work?

mrdark

Hey everybody, I'm new to the scene. I only just purchased my gp32Blu yesterday, and it's gonna be a while before I receive it from Europe. So I'm trying to learn all I can in the meantime, and I apologize if I step on any toes with reposted or ignorant posts.

Here's what I'm wondering-I did some searching, but didn't find any information on this: A compatability list of Mame roms.

I'm assuming the system can handle mid 80's and early 90s stuff fine (like Gauntlet or Shinobi for example). But can this machine also handle Ninja Turtles Arcade, Simpsons, and any of the Mortal Kombats (preferably II)? My system is 166 mhz.

If anyone has any firsthand experience in this, I'd love to know. Or, if there's an actual list of games known to work (even with flaws), please point me to that list and I'll check it out. Oh, and how's the Snes emulator going? Will I have any luck playing the Final Fantasies?

Ok, don't mean to double-dip. Thanks for any information, everyone!

Hey, thanks, this looks like exactly what I need.

Thanks for the fast help, and the welcome message- I can't wait to get into this system!!

Hm, crap, actually I can't seem to open it, it's a rar file and I've never known how I'm supposed to open those things.

Thanks anyway, I still appreciate the help and I guess I'll keep trying.

mrdark posted on Sep 14 2005 at 08:14 PM said:
Hm, crap, actually I can't seem to open it, it's a rar file and I've never known how I'm supposed to open those things.

Thanks anyway, I still appreciate the help and I guess I'll keep trying.

Go to rarlabs.com, to get WinRar ... you need to un-rar the archive, very similar to win-zip.

Oh, not that it bothers me, but these threads should go int the "I need help" forum, or MAME help .... others will remind you of this ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again, and I don't mean to keep sounding like a whiner or uber-noob, but I have tried that winrar and I don't understand what to do with it. If that's the same thing I remember, its icon is a stack of colored books and it DOES seem to unzip those files, but they won't play in my media player and so on. With all those options and lists and tables winrar gives, I think it's just over my head. Sounds stupid, I know, but I don't really have any experience using the thing besides going in circles with it!

Again, thanks for the help, I do appreciate it. I just seem to have already hit a very basic wall! Ha ha, some will argue that I'm not even ready for the sp32 now based on this. I'll keep trying, I just never got that winrar thing.

Quick reply:

Just select everything in the bottom window, and drag 'em over to a destination folder, then read the readme file to see where to put everything ...

mrdark posted on Sep 15 2005 at 12:43 AM said:
Hey everybody, I'm new to the scene. I only just purchased my gp32Blu yesterday, and it's gonna be a while before I receive it from Europe. So I'm trying to learn all I can in the meantime, and I apologize if I step on any toes with reposted or ignorant posts.

Here's what I'm wondering-I did some searching, but didn't find any information on this: A compatability list of Mame roms.

I'm assuming the system can handle mid 80's and early 90s stuff fine (like Gauntlet or Shinobi for example). But can this machine also handle Ninja Turtles Arcade, Simpsons, and any of the Mortal Kombats (preferably II)? My system is 166 mhz.

If anyone has any firsthand experience in this, I'd love to know. Or, if there's an actual list of games known to work (even with flaws), please point me to that list and I'll check it out. Oh, and how's the Snes emulator going? Will I have any luck playing the Final Fantasies?

Ok, don't mean to double-dip. Thanks for any information, everyone!

Well MAME is great but you must remember it was originally made for PCs of much higher spec than the GP32. Basically it means that the code was very inefficient and slow. The author has done a great job of cleaning it up as much as possible but it is still MAME. The point is don't expect to run very many newer games at full speed. Most of the early 80s stuff like Ms PAC-man runs fine, but stuff like bionic commando is still very slow. The same with SNES. It is slow unless you turn off sound.

Try DrMD Genesis emulator. It is brilliant and runs many games at full speed with full sound at 144 MHz.

Its great but sadly solomons key (japan) messes up when I get a powerup. Im going to try getting a new version, maybe that will help..anyone else try this yet?

OH GOODNESS, it seems to be a copy protection thing.. :( it seems to have been fixed in a later version of Mame. I wonder if the fix could be easily added..that would be awesome to the max. Either way, this is some bad ass shit..play on.

Cool, thanks for that link. I'm still learning my way around this stuff and this site. But I'm already getting help, and I appreciate it!

I'll give that winrar stuff another try later. I'm sure it's simple once you sort of know the "language" it's speaking in, essentially.

But man, according to these lists, no Mortal Kombat OR the basic Simpsons arcade game? I'm not even sure if I saw Gauntlet. This system still rocks I'm sure and I don't regret buying it, but man, this does come as a disappointment.

Thanks for the help and advice, everyone.

Gauntlet is there.... if you want Mortal Kombat, try the megadrive verison with Reesy's Emu.

>>Well MAME is great but you must remember it was originally made for PCs of much higher spec than the GP32.<<

This is entirely untrue. MAME in 1997 ran perfectly well on my Pentium 100.

Hwrd posted on Sep 15 2005 at 04:44 PM said:
>>Well MAME is great but you must remember it was originally made for PCs of much higher spec than the GP32.<<

This is entirely untrue. MAME in 1997 ran perfectly well on my Pentium 100.

Again, as it never seems to get through. A pentium PC is more powerful MHz for MHz than a GP32.

Well guys, thanks either way. I guess it's not too big a deal- I mean, with all the stuff it sounds like this system can do, there's no way I'm gonna regret buying it. It seems like it'll kick ass. And even if it can't play MK, I guess I still have my PC for that (would've been great portable though)!

There will be lots to do with it, I guess I'm just a little surprised. At first I couldn't believe that it could even support MAME, which in and of itself is fantastic. To play old favorites like Black Tiger and yes, thank you, GAUNTLET, on a handheld is pretty flash. I suppose I just got so into the hype and the possibilities that I was disappointed that I can't play MK. True, I can at least fiddle with the Genesis /MD version, which is crappy but better than nothing. I wonder if the Snes version works? Oh well, it's not too big of a deal because of the buttons anyway.

Still, I guess I really was hoping for the Simpsons game to appear. When they say "Turtles", I'm assuming the Ninja Turtle arcade game, so here's hopes for that too I guess.

Basically though, thanks for the help. I see my topic's been moved, so if I already started on the wrong foot by posting in the wrong spot, I apologize. I'll try to keep picking this stuff up, but like I said I'm new to the scene.

The megadrive emu is a far more advanced then the Snes one plus it has the blood in it as well ;)

As for the original Mortal Kombat it does, but it took Midway Arcade Treasures 2 to beat the snes MKII!

>> Again, as it never seems to get through. A pentium PC is more powerful MHz for MHz than a GP32.

Actually your post is the first time I read this.

By this, it appears once is all it takes to get through.

(please don't assume anyone reads all your previous posts... it makes you sound snide.)

Back