Which Console Is More Advance? Snes Or Neogeo

rsuryase

I think SNES is more advance because some games have special effects while I don't know of any NEOGEO game that has special effects. Besides some SNES games still run pretty slow on the Wiz while all NEOGEO games runs fast on Wiz and GP2X, so I guess it's harder to emulate SNES than NEOGEO.

I think it is not easy to compare booth Consoles. SNES is a 16 Bit Home console, AFAIK most of the power comes from special Chips inside the Console and inside the Cartridges.
The NeoGeo Console wasn't planed as typical "Home Console", more for usage in Hotels and Shopping Centers or so. Better than place a huge NeoGeo Arcade Cabinet everywhere. :D
The Graphic Power of the Neo Geo mostly comes from the huge ROM Capacity ot the Cartridges. You don't have to calculate an effect if you can store everything as a graphic. ;)
It was sayed that the Processors of the NeoGeo are actualy nothing special, except from an impressive Hardware Zoom I think. But the huge Memsize of the Gaming Cartridges allow the NeoGeo to do some better graphics than SNES ever was able to do, even when the SNES maybe was more advanced in Chip-Architecture. :)

Just my point of view which can be wrong in reality of course. ^_^

Sprite scaling was very good on the Neo Geo as was the 15 channel sound chip - Who can forget all that amazing ingame speech in stuff like Baseball Stars 2!

Cart size obviously helped, but price certainly did not :(

trooper said:
Just game play video`s, Not a technical comparison.

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/art-of-fighting-neo-geo-vs/128562

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVJMTPvWZO8&feature=related

Trooper
Unless the Megadrive and SNES versions were both ported by SNK directly, it is hard to draw technical comparisons (like you said)

One thing for sure is that the two ports were so-so even back in the early 90's when they where released. Just compare them to Street Fighter II and you can see that both systems could have done more justice to the game. Capcom were porting Gods!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Neogeo is better then Snes.Snes games look amazing but on SNES too many games were crippled with slowdown which I don't found such slowdown on Neogeo.

Using emulator performance as a measurement for system quality is a very bad metric. Some advantages, like higher color depth, more cartridge space, and so on can be emulated for free. Some graphical formats can be easier to deal with. Neo-Geo's mostly sprites of large tiles based approach can be emulated with less overhead than SNES's multiple layers of small tiles at varying priorities + sprites. It also doesn't have of the graphical effects SNES had. Finally, a lot of games don't use raster effects so you can emulate several scanlines at a time, and a lot of games don't use FM audio so it doesn't have to be emulated for them.

Just played Star Ocean. The graphics are awesome, like NEO GEO. I read that it's 96mbit decompressed. A distant second place is Tales of Phantasia at 48mbit.

What difference does decompressed size make? I could compress a million bytes into 4, if those bytes happen to be all zeroes. Star Ocean's ROM stores compressed data that's decompressed at runtime. The only reason anyone had pre-decompressed data is because emulator authors hadn't yet figured out how the decompression chip worked.

I think SNES is the most advance 16-bit console because the games looks better than Sega Genesis and NEC Turbo Duo. Is there a 16-bit console that I'm missing.

NeoGeo is as 16-bit as Genesis is, anyone who says something like "24-bit" is silly. NeoGeo Pocket/Pocket Color and Wonderswan are 16-bit handhelds, but I don't think either would compare favorably to SNES.

SegaCD + Genesis also qualifies as 16-bit (again, as much as Genesis itself would), and I think that's the only one I'd place competitively against SNES graphically. It's pretty hard to compare though. SegaCD can do some really nice things with its graphics chip that SNES wouldn't ever be able to w/o a special chip game, and it has access to much more game content. The latter can't be underestimated, this allowed even PC-Engine CD games to sometimes have much smoother animation than SNES ones. But SegaCD still has some of the fundamental color space limitations Genesis did, and that holds it back considerably.

About the whole "as much as Genesis is" thing, some of the same arguments in considering Genesis 16-bit instead of 32-bit would also make SNES 8-bit instead of 16-bit. You could look at various widths of the other components but IMO that doesn't really say anything on its own. But then again, bit ratings on consoles were always pretty stupid.

"X looks better than Y" is a very subjective statement, and not a good way to compare how powerful 2 consoles are.

Is it true even Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation 1 can't have as much sprites as Neo Geo? I remember Sega Saturn need to use 4MB Backup RAM to play some Capcom fighting games.

fiveseven said:
"X looks better than Y" is a very subjective statement, and not a good way to compare how powerful 2 consoles are.

I think for consoles/hardware, you can judge it's prowess by just looking at how good the games/software look.

rsuryase said:
Is it true even Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation 1 can't have as much sprites as Neo Geo? I remember Sega Saturn need to use 4MB Backup RAM to play some Capcom fighting games.

Neo-Geo can display 384 sprites. The number of sprites PS1 and Saturn can display is limited to by fill-rate and primitive setup/processing. Sony says that PS1 can display 4000 8x8 sprites, but doesn't say at what rate. If we look at polygon throughput textured + lit is said to be 180,000, which would mean 3000 per frame at 60Hz, so 60Hz for the 4000 sprite figure isn't out of the question. And 4000 > 384. I don't know what Saturn's limits are, but it can certainly do way more than 384 becaue its sprite engine is what's used for 3D.

Now if you want to talk overall sprite pixels.. Neo-Geo can display 96 sprites per scanline, each 16 pixels wide, and it can do this each of its 224 scanlines. So you get 96 * 16 * 224 = 344,064 sprite pixels per frame * 60 = 20,643,840 sprite pixels per second, bearing in mind that this is source fillrate and not destination (zoomed). If you drew all those 4000 8x8 sprites at 60Hz on PS1 then the source rate is 4000 * 8 * 8 * 60 = 15,360,000 sprite pixels per second. So here the Neo-Geo actually does win.

If you multiplex the sprite set mid-frame (if the console lets you do this, some don't) then you can circumvent the sprites per screen limitation. The problem is that a console like NeoGeo would have too few CPU cycles to change a lot of sprites per scanline, so this can only work if it can swap the entire sprite table with a pointer change.

But RAM expansion carts don't have anything to do with sprite counts or sprite pixel counts.

Back