Where to get a replacement battery cover?

diligentcircle

Website
onpon4.github.io
My second battery cover is developing a crack, probably because the cardboard I used to make some new batteries thicker is too thick (the battery cover didn't come with the paddings they're supposed to come with, for some reason). So I'd like a new cover, but I'm having some trouble. I found this:

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/234-replacement-case-platinum-ersatzteile.html

But there's a problem: it's an entire replacement case, and I only need a cover. This is a fairly minor problem, but I have absolutely no use for an entire replacement case; it's only the battery cover that I'm worried will break. Also, if just a battery cover were cheaper, I would want to buy maybe 4 or 5 of them, just in case, but if I have to spend $12 each I'm only willing to buy two.

So, is there a place where I can buy just a replacement battery cover at a cheaper price?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still on my first battery cover and it shows no signs of cracking or stress.  Where are you adding padding?  I only see a reason to add it along the sides of the battery inside the compartment.  This should not add any stress to the cover.  If you are putting it between the battery and the cover, which is how it sounds to me when you say thicker, I can see it causing problems.

Am I just unaware of some very thin batteries?  I have seen others say they have had issues like this and I don't get it.

Batteries produced after some time, I want to say starting with the Rebirth edition, are thinner than the original batteries by like 0.5mm or something like that, and this prevents the battery cover from pushing the battery in enough to make contact. I think battery covers made after then were supposed to come with some sort of padding to compensate for this, but mine (which I ordered around this time) didn't for some reason, so I used a piece of cardboard when I got one of the thinner batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic Pandora units had a thicker battery.  Batteries from the 3910 batch were thinner as are the newest batteries from 0413 batch.  Last two digits are year produced IIRC.  I don't have an initial battery on hand, but I think they end in 09 and are the thicker battery.

Two small pieces of foam tape were added to Rebirth and 1GHz Pandora units to accommodate for the thinning of the battery along the sides of the battery housing.  This was added in the more indented part of the housing, with a small piece on each side to keep the battery centered over the contact with the PCB.  

My batteries are the newer, thinner (or should it be "narrower"?) ones.  My battery compartment has the foam along the edges that Link described.  Additionally, I added a small piece of folded paper along one of the short edges of the battery (it doesn't extend further up than case plastic) to keep it from shifting.  My Pandora works fine and does not have battery connection issues even when bumped or carried in a pocket.  I think shoving something between the battery and the cover is asking for the cover to break.

onpon4, depending on where you are I might be willing to buy some case parts. This could help you recover some of what you pay.  I am in the US.

Link, do you have some of the newest batch of display cables, and are you willing to take a look at a Pandora, and possibly do some part swapping for the cost of parts, labor, etc.?  I can PM with additional details if needed.  It is display related and may not be a real problem, but I would like to get someone who has seen more units to take a look to tell me if it is normal or not (plus changing the cable is a bit intimidating to me since I don't have money to waste if I do it wrong).

Well, my thinner battery from the third batch simply won't connect without extra thickness. Specifically, it finally boots and stays booted with 5 sheets of printer paper. 4 sheets and it boots, but shuts off after a bit. Anything less, and it won't boot at all. The only possible way I can imagine this battery cover having ever been able to hold one of the thinner batteries in is if my use with it on a classic battery caused it to warp.

I've ended up putting wedges of folded paper alongside both sets of padding, and I left the spare paper on top of the battery (unfolded though, so not very thick).

My battery cover is still intact, although it's fair to say that with the battery so firmly held in place, getting the battery cover off is a slightly fraught experience. It's the only way I can keep it from rebooting if I have it in my bag though.

Back