What's up with NES?

ToastBucket

Very Active Member
Both NES emulators seem to be the same and I haven't been able to get them working properly. Only one ROM I've tried works and it was a crappy hack of Metroid. I was just trying to get SMB running, but none of the 10+ roms I tried worked, on either of the emulators. :/

Everything I've tried works in gpfce, including SMB. All my roms are .zip, if that helps.

Just use the GP2X version of GPFCE via GINGE. In my view, that's the best bet for NES emulation on the Pandora at this time.

thread-derail-1953.jpg

NES emulation is just poor on every platform, for some reason it isn't as far along as SNES, Master System, or Genesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just use the GP2X version of GPFCE via GINGE. In my view, that's the best bet for NES emulation on the Pandora at this time.

How so?
It's quite simple. :p

1: No forced ugly-blob-filter like the native Pandora port seems to have.

2: Better audio than the native Pandora port of NesEmu.

3: No problems with save-states or anything else.

NES emulation is just poor on every platform, for some reason it isn't as far along as SNES, Master System, or Genesis.
Really? Whilst this is certainly the case for PAL NES emulation (part of this is probably because it uses a physically different processor - that's why you can't modify them to run at 60Hz), it's my understanding that NTSC NES/FC emulation is just fine.

Really? Whilst this is certainly the case for PAL NES emulation (part of this is probably because it uses a physically different processor - that's why you can't modify them to run at 60Hz), it's my understanding that NTSC NES/FC emulation is just fine.
GUIs are not as good, filters don't help as much, cheats are usually non-existent, they just never seem as well done as the other three systems I've mentioned. To me it is perplexing, the NES was far more popular that any of those other systems world wide so you'd think that the emulators would be better.

I'm not really talking about how well they work but the program in general, emulation is 100% but the emulators are just not as far along. It is like the people writing them stopped when they could play a rom and didn't go any farther.

It's quite simple. :p

1: No forced ugly-blob-filter like the native Pandora port seems to have.

2: Better audio than the native Pandora port of NesEmu.

3: No problems with save-states or anything else.

I'm pretty sure you can remove the blocky filter, as I did it before. Having said that, I can't figure out the option for it now!

Nes emulation is actually pretty good for development though. I'm using FCEUXDSP, which comes with a realtime RAM hex viewer/editor... oh, the fun times I have with that thing! It works using the same principle as Action Replay etc. codes, but you can change it all in realtime - makes me feel I'm controlling The Matrix :)

I'm looking into porting something similar for the Pandora if at all possible. I already have nesasm running on the thing.

Back