What's the largest FAT32 image file I can set up?

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I'm outgrowing my original 1GB image file and seem to recall Android was limited to 2GB FAT when I set up?

Is that the max for FAT32 as well? This Android port is so useful I want to know if can I use a nice shiny new 16 or 32GB card and max out the Android image to most of the cards size. I know I can use EXT2 etc but I like to be able to copy stuff onto my cards from my Windows PCs so I'd prefer FAT32. Failing that can someone recommend a good Windows EXT utility.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

ToaD

Ah ofc. I'm thinking partition sizes but actually it's an image file... (_8(|) Doh!

Cheers ED Thanks for the link. Time to order up a new SD card :)

iirc, FAT32 can deal with files up to 4 GB, FAT16 had a hard limit on 2 GB partitions though. Original EXT2 spec had a 2 GB filesize limit, but that was hacked around.

he's not asking for files, he's asking about partition sizes (drive image size).

Android seem to crash on > 128GB FAT32 partitions.

it has no problem with my 8GB and 16GB cards but the larger USB drives crashes my Android tablet hard.

max for FAT32 partitions is 2TB with 512 byte sectors.

I had a 16GB card formatted with EXT2 but wasn't able to write files to it. I was just testing the card to make sure it could be formatted to EXT2 and was considering putting Android on that card.

I decided to reformat it back to FAT32 and everything was fine.

What is up with these other formats being so "technical"?

Back