What's The Difference Between Drmd And Fgen?

Billy Lee

I've got both Megadrive emulators and they both seem to run as well as each other.

Dr.MD is more advanced in sound production and possibly more games will work with it. However if like me you have previous save game files in fgen (e.g. Phantasy Star 4) then use fgen.

It does have sound but for some reason it doesn't always turn on when you tell it to.

the most important difference is drmd supports more games.
i couldn't be able to play megalomania on fgen (also not with the ol' gigadrive)
but drmd plays it.

ah also the sound.

I have to use both FGen and DR MD for my games as they both have games that prefer them to the other.Dr MD is the only game I find works with games like Mega Bomberman. Whilst Shinobi will only play to level 3 and above with FGen, and is the only one of them to Play S3&K with full speed sound.

My verdict, download both, for all it is worth.

DrMD is better in several points, sound for example and compatibility.

Actual DrMD beta 4 is really far much better than fGEN because of the DAC support (voice...) without ANY speed decrease and now with a great brightness control (as efficiency as fGEN one).

DrMD beta 4 has some fixed Cyclone bugs too (Shinobi 3, MK and SOR1 work perfectly with a fixed point counting and display well time left in game).

EDIT : cozmic > And is there any sound with Ristar on fGEN?

both have auto frameskip but drmd is faster for most games. Maybe that is why they seem to be running at the same speed to u.

fgen doesnt have z80 support so no sound in most games.

It depends on what version of fgen you have ;)
I have fGEN with z80 but it's slower, less compatible and a lot of games still don't have sound. ;)

Same here.
I have the latest betas of both, and Dr.MD has nicer sound (including DAC), is faster and already has some cyclone bugs fixed.

Well, AFAIK Rlyeh didn't work much lately on fGen, that's why it's not as advanced.
Rlyeh is parallel working on LOTS of emulators, so they'll all advance slowly but are as awesome as Dr.MD once finished (just take a look at fZX :) Cooool :))

Last edited:
Since DrMD is so far along and is great, Rlyeh can concentrate on his other emus now if he wants which is good it will save him much time.

Since DrMD is so far along and is great, Rlyeh can concentrate on his other emus now if he wants which is good it will save him much time.

Or he'll get envious of DrMD, and devote his time to making fGen THE Genesis Emulator, obsessing over it, and abandoning every other project... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back