What's A Good 3d Modeling Program To Start With?

RoboJoe32

I've been very interested in it for a long time, but Just now want to attempt it, What's a good 3D modeling program for a beginner? (Free, purchase, doesn't matter) I want something that's simple to use but not hindering in it's simplicity, And something with a rather smooth gui so I won't be stuck going "now.....HOW do I Apply texture?" etc...

Can anyone help me out?

Maxon Cinema 4d, Great program, I used to use this on the Amiga (v4).
Its been available for the pc for a few years now, (v8) i think.

The is a freeware 3d modler (amongst others) called Amapi. I got it on a coverdisk a few years ago, But never got around to trying it out.

Trooper

Milkshape didn't really help (No tutorial+No documentation+ no clue= No results =/) (got it from another forum) now to try out the ones ya listed, thanks :D

Blender 3d its awesome fantastic interface quick to make really good models all through keyboard shortcuts and mouse movement really really really fast takes a while 2 come to grips with controls but its awesome and completely free ! "_"

Oh man...... I have a whole new respect for ANYONE who's EVER made anything in 3D.....

5 programs (Milkshape, Blender 3D, 3D max, Rhino, Amapi..) 3 hours of frustration, and not even a textured cube to show for it...

:(

if it modelling, but not for games, the use ProDesktop

it is by far the easiest design programme I have ever used, once uve got the knack u can make anything

I think its £10, but my college have a student liscens, so I pay didly squat

Oh man...... I have a whole new respect for ANYONE who's EVER made anything in 3D.....

5 programs (Milkshape, Blender 3D, 3D max, Rhino, Amapi..) 3 hours of frustration, and not even a textured cube to show for it...

:(
Try Maxon Cinema 4d, You havn`t said you`ve tried that. Go on give it a go, Especially the earlier versions.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK GMax only works if you have a game for which you create your objects.
You can't do stuff on your own.

I'm not sure (haven't tried it, since I own the big 3ds max ;)), but I thought so...

I found 3ds max easiest to start with.

You can find a 30 day trial version here: http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=403
Yeah, back when I tried it, I found it really easy to use and I was able to make my first project (I made one of those crystals from LTTP in which the maidens are imprisoned in, and I had the crystal rotating slowly with light shining on it, and I also had the camera slowly zooming in. It was decent, but then I lost interest and never worked with the program again :D ) very quickly without any prior knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back