Whatever happened to Dosbox for pandora?

Solstar

maybe its me but i cannot find any new version fo dosbox for pandora...and the ones i have run not so good..i have a first batch pandora,overclocked to 800-ish,and yet i can run even ds games thanks to drastic but i'm struggling running dos games ??i have the normal dosbox for pandora and the dosbox URA version,which is a little improvement in speed,but the interface is cumbersome and you have to rename all of your exe.s into 01.exe and so on..

so,ami i missing something or,so far at least,i can forget to run dos fps (that are currently not ported)on my pandora?

Ummm.. well, another solution is "Qemu for Pandora" to run DosGames.

Usually that works way faster than DosBOX.

At least that is what I have experienced with the games that I have tried.

EDIT : The only reason I have once used DosBOX was because "Armored Fist" (Nova Logic, 1994)

wasnt running through Qemu and FreeDos 1.0 somehow.

Win95/DosMode and Win98/DosMode did not run either.

Got a weird error there, something because of a division with zero if I rememeber right.

In DosBox it was possible to start it. (but with slow gameplay in high detail mode)

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the DS have anything to do with dosbox?

Dosbox in general is slow as it aims to be portable across any system type. Make sure your conf's use core set to dynamic. Set cycles to Max.

Dosbox is an app you have to put some thought into and read the manual. Once you do its not that difficult.

To be honest Pickle ... I have not invested much time into optimizing DosBOX till now as well. =S.

Maybe I am wrong with my saying "its slower than Qemu" because of my lack of knowledge about it.

A huge plus point for DosBOX always was that you can just start right away with mounting / installing / playing your Dos Games. =D

In Qemu you have to setup the virtual machine and its running OS as we all know in the first place. =P

Oh well they are both very nice to have on the Pandora.

Maybe I should spend more time with DosBOX to work myself more into it...

The one thing I still dont get is how dosbox with qemu is faster. If the bottleneck is the CPU emulation, which is what qemu uses dosbox for, how is it faster.

Ummm... maybe I got your last posting wrong but :

its not DosBOX with Qemu I am using.

Its DosBOX or Qemu I am using on the Pandora for DosGames.

I have/had no idea about that ^^

All I can tell you is that the games that I m running within qemu are way more playable / experienced faster compared to the DosBox installations of the games.

As I have written above .. maybe that has to do something with the lack of knowledge how to set up DosBOX in Detail.

EDIT : Did you ever manage to get Dungeon Keeper running within DosBox at a satisfiable framerate yet ? cO

the latest release of qemu uses dosbox internally for offloading of the cpu emulation.
Are you sure about that?

qemu had reasonably efficient dynarec from the very beginning, it's kind of the point of the project.

Dosbox got a dynarec later (ARM one at least from M-HT).

the latest release of qemu uses dosbox internally for offloading of the cpu emulation.
Are you sure about that?

qemu had reasonably efficient dynarec from the very beginning, it's kind of the point of the project.

Dosbox got a dynarec later (ARM one at least from M-HT).
Well since you calling me out on it, I tried to research a bit to make sure. And I cant find anything, i swear that at one time when qemu was being ported there was some comments that qemu was being compiled with dosbox. I thought it was to use some of the dosbox features rather then qemu's (which i thought was for the core). I even looked a bit at the qemu source and I dont see any dosbox references. So seems I pulled this out of my nether regions.

I need Mcobit to set me straight.

But your comment makes more sense as to why it would be faster.

Dosbox in general is slow as it aims to be portable across any system type. Make sure your conf's use core set to dynamic. Set cycles to Max.

Dosbox is an app you have to put some thought into and read the manual. Once you do its not that difficult.
the problem is not its learning curve..i already use the one on pc and i know my way on dynamic,cycles etc..my issue is that its still damn unplayable with games such as pursuit of greed,which has a pre-doom engine and yet it struggle to get a decent framerate

the problem is not its learning curve..i already use the one on pc and i know my way on dynamic,cycles etc..my issue is that its still damn unplayable with games such as pursuit of greed,which has a pre-doom engine and yet it struggle to get a decent framerate
So fix the problem yourself? I'm sure things will be better after that.

So fix the problem yourself? I'm sure things will be better after that.
why all these harsh replies?what have i done wrong to you people??!if there was something else i could've done to run the games better,do you think i would be here asking for help??

The reactions here are really disappointing.

This does not seem to be such a nice community as i thought.

I wanted to post something more topic related but do not see any sense in it anymore.

The reactions here are really disappointing.

This does not seem to be such a nice community as i thought.

I wanted to post something more topic related but do not see any sense in it anymore.

He did come across as demanding in his first post, this is why I was being strict and firm with mine. I think now its a language barrier :)

Pickles DosBox Port is the best one and its on the Repo. No need to rename anything.

It's also harder than you think to emulate X86.

I think now its a language barrier :)
Maybe. It would be easier if everybody would at least show in which country they are living.

Showing the first language under the avatar would be great for international forums, but i have never seen it anywhere.

Ok, so i will try pickles version again.

Doxbox-Ex seems to have some weird problems with the mouse/touchscreen. oO

You mean the mouse being stuck in a box somehow?

Someone should try to run pickles DosBox with notaz sdl as notaz made a lot of fixes and it might actually work better now.

Edit: If noone else wants to do it, I can try to build latest dosbox today and see how good it works with notaz sdl.

Someone should try to run pickles DosBox with notaz sdl as notaz made a lot of fixes and it might actually work better now.

Edit: If noone else wants to do it, I can try to build latest dosbox today and see how good it works with notaz sdl.
Yep, either "stuck in an invisible box" or this strange fisheye effect with the touchscreen.

It would be really great, if you would do that. :)

that would be a nice addition :)

EDIT:added my location,you know,just in case...

Back