What The Hell Happened To Fatboy Slim ??!?

T

TelcoLou

I rarely watch TV (unless you count video games, which is technically 'watching' ... but I digress), but the other night I was flicking thru 80+ channels of the usual garbage when I came upon Late Night with Conan O'Brian.

Fatboy Slim was perfroming live.

Apparently, he's changed directions. He was playing a bass guitar and had some lame psuedo rap-singer and a few other folks playing instruments.

My wife and I really dig his other stuff (is it 'techno' ? I'm out of the loop with these modern-day musical style terms) and we were appalled by the disgusting cacophony of sound coming from this band of no-talent losers.

I swear, we were both watching with horror :eek: , convinced that this was some sort of sinister practical joke, but I guess it's not.

</rant>

/me hands TelcoLou a nice cup of tea, a couple of kitkats, and the whole Orbital CD collection...

enjoy...

I rarely watch TV (unless you count video games, which is technically 'watching' ... but I digress), but the other night I was flicking thru 80+ channels of the usual garbage when I came upon Late Night with Conan O'Brian.

Fatboy Slim was perfroming live.

Apparently, he's changed directions. He was playing a bass guitar and had some lame psuedo rap-singer and a few other folks playing instruments.

My wife and I really dig his other stuff (is it 'techno' ? I'm out of the loop with these modern-day musical style terms) and we were appalled by the disgusting cacophony of sound coming from this band of no-talent losers.

I swear, we were both watching with horror :eek: , convinced that this was some sort of sinister practical joke, but I guess it's not.

</rant>

Well he did originally start out in a rock/pop band in the 80's called the house martins .. maybe they've regrouped :p Whom i really liked when i was 11 ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
He's always been a bit experimental - I assume you've never heard of the Housemartins!

You ought to get hold of some of his eailer stuff - Pizzaman, Beats International, Freak Power, etc. if you don't already have it, it was all leading up to the 'Fat Boy' sound...

*Gives TelcoLou a copy of the dirtchamber sessions vol.1 by Liam Howlett*

Breathe in, Breathe out :D

On a side note, did any one hear the last Orbital gig at Maida Vale on possibly the last John Peel [RIP] Session? Its up for Bittorrent on a well known site where stars explode.

All I can say is its Grade A ;)

Ah - you beat me to it skysnapper...

Everybody now,

"Every woman every man, join the Caravan of love..."

<_< Terrible track...

Bastard, Bastard....i had totally forgotten that ever existed it was at bad at the time and now i have been reminded of it after 15+ years it has now come flooding back and will probably stay in my head for the rest of the day... I hate You!

Last edited by a moderator:
:D I'd recommend cleansing with a quick blast of Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden. Not sure if you'll like it, but you certainly won't have Caravan of Love in your head afterwards...

The House Martins were a good band but he dismissed all their music as rubbish years ago, the singer was Paul Heaton of the Beautiful South.

Anyway Fatboy Slim is always doing wierd stuff, I'm sure his album will be full of the same shit as usual.

I will look into the Housemartins, and some of the other mentioned stuff. Thanks for the input folks; I'm open to different music, it's just that that performance threw me ... it wasn't at all what I was used to from him :)

The Housemartins were really quite different to Fatboy Slim's work - They are more in the style of jangly 1980's indie guitar music. In fact Norman (aka Fatboy) just played the bass. Shortly after they split up, he did his first remix which was a Eric B & Rakim track, and it was quite successful.

Stick to the first two Fatboy Slim albums and avoid the next two!

Back