What Nonsense Have You So Far Read On The Gp2x??

Racemaniac

Scorched GP programmer
Website
Visit site
on a forum i often visit i just read a post on the gp2x, it said:
1: the gp2x was no more than a media player, no games to be expected for it
2: the gp2x was slower than the gp32
3: no 3d for the gp2x
4: the real successor of the gp32 is the xgp...

i made some "tiny" remarks to his post....

Racemaniac posted on Oct 10 2005 at 05:43 PM said:

1.) No commercial games, perhaps. I know there are supposed to be some planned, but this is GPH we're talking about ;)

2.) With the Linux overhead, perhaps it will be for some things...

3.) No hardware 3d, that much is true.

4.) Technically the XGP is the "true" successor seeing as it's being made by the same company as the GP32, as opposed to Gamepark Holdings who are developing the 2x.

Sorry, just being devil's advocate ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
fishybawb posted on Oct 10 2005 at 06:50 PM said:
Racemaniac posted on Oct 10 2005 at 05:43 PM said:

1.) No commercial games, perhaps. I know there are supposed to be some planned, but this is GPH we're talking about ;)

4.) Technically the XGP is the "true" successor seeing as it's being made by the same company as the GP32, as opposed to Gamepark Holdings who are developing the 2x.

indeed, i know what you're saying, but he did say no games, what so ever, no 3d, what so ever, the linux overhead can and will be bypassed, it's just to ease certain things (again, not even the slightest indication of os causes or so, he simply said the gp2x was slower)
4) he said it in terms of games etc... not in terms of companies (he came to that conclusion as result of the gp2x being weaker, having no games at all etc...)

i know that you can indeed more or less defend some of his points, but as he told them i can't but assume utter and complete ignorance.

That the DC plug location will make it "Impossible" to play while on an adapter, and that aparently the design is crap for that single reason.

fishybawb posted on Oct 10 2005 at 05:50 PM said:

1) Quake is a commercial game

2) Overhead!! not for porting time, ease of development. thats ignoring all the 2D accerated goodness. resize, scale etc. and linux is otional, and remember its not just the CPU's thats faster. regardless of the option to load without linux.

3) there is little to no benefit of 3D acceleration.

4) The GP2X is an evolution of the GP32. The XGP i something else. If gamepark had started producing toy cars would they be the "true" successor of GP32.

I say What difference does it make what an outside site says?

I for one want the rest of the world outside of this board to think the GP2X sucks.

I really don't think there are going to be many made, just a hunch. And I can't get mine till the end of December, so... I want this first batch to last till I can get mine, cause I really don't think a second batch will get made.

Jarska333 posted on Oct 10 2005 at 08:04 PM said:
Quake is open source. Commercial would be something you'd have to buy. Commercial-grade, on the other hand...

You have to buy quake. To play quake. Its commercial

Cyclops posted on Oct 10 2005 at 08:02 PM said:

1) Quake was a commercial game, the quake engine is open source GPL'd software, the game contents is still copyrighted by id. Just nitpicking

2) Have you not played on a PSP ?

Oscaruzzo posted on Oct 10 2005 at 08:11 PM said:
I read linux/SDL will add a HUGE overhead (either this is nonsense or it CAN be optimized).
You don't have to use linux or SDL, they are there to make it easier to program and port existing applications. New code code can be fully optimised to not use linux or SDL, which is an overhead.

worldwriter!
that house in your cam..i remember when there was no driveway or whatever it is they've put up haha

lucoxade(nice name btw...im thirsty)!
i think cyclops meant that 3d hardware accel wouldn't do much for the gp2x..i'm not sure i agree, though.

That the DC plug location will make it "Impossible" to play while on an adapter, and that aparently the design is crap for that single reason.
yes, i read that over at gpx2.com as well..what a load of bull!
but going over the new pics from anarchy, it doesn't look very comfortable...oh well, going to stock up on rechargeable AAs anyway.

lucoxade posted on Oct 10 2005 at 10:17 PM said:
Oscaruzzo posted on Oct 10 2005 at 08:11 PM said:
I read linux/SDL will add a HUGE overhead (either this is nonsense or it CAN be optimized).
You don't have to use linux or SDL, they are there to make it easier to program and port existing applications. New code code can be fully optimised to not use linux or SDL, which is an overhead.

Actually I was implying that considering linux/SDL an "overhead" is nonsense ;) . SDL is an extremely thin software layer (gives you access to the raw framebuffer memory), and linux is really a lightweight OS, especially if you have a single process running. I don't think not using them will give any sensible speedup...

Edit: typo

lucoxade posted on Oct 10 2005 at 08:07 PM said:
1) Quake was a commercial game, the quake engine is open source GPL'd software, the game contents is still copyrighted by id. Just nitpicking

Quake is a commercial game, nitpick all you want. The fact that the sources are open does not chance that

If the GP2X had 3D/800mhz chip/screen attached to eyeball wipeout would not happen.

lucoxade posted on Oct 10 2005 at 10:07 PM said:

Nitpicking I can relate to. ;)

Jarska333 posted on Oct 10 2005 at 10:16 PM said:
lucoxade posted on Oct 10 2005 at 10:07 PM said:

Nitpicking I can relate to. ;)

Quake is still commercial, always was always will be baby

Back