What is your Reason you want this Thing?

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
At least whit this CPU Board, the Pyra may not be the fastest Pocket PC in the World, and its quite Expensive,
But as there are a lot Peaple that still want this Thing even if you can get a Normal Notebook for less Money,
so what is your Background as Orderer/Buyer of this DS Clone whit the Keyboard and the Linux?

I was a preeorderer for the Pandora and this was at first just a "Frustkauf" because a worse Post Delievery Minijob, then when i had it, it became my coolest EDC Gadget im still carry every day, Emu Gaming, a bit Office Work, everything was working perfektly on this tiny Device whit the 700 mhz,
and this whole Community thing was also quite pleasant, and as the Pyra will hopefully be the same but better, this is the Reason i wantet this thing ^^

I was just searching for a programmable handheld in 2015, and this is what came up.

These days, we do have more options. I think Pyra has absolutely everything beat on form factor though, even if the SoC is outdated. I don't want a handheld that requires a fan, even after getting used to my Nintendo Switch.

I like handhelds, keyboards, long battery life and open source.

Sadly the combination of those things is hard to find. Pinephone has a shot if the keyboard and battery life both get there.

It also has extras with the buttons, no fan, 4g and ptitseb.

- upgradable (theoretically)
- hackable
- open
- Linux
- portable (almost pocketable)
- option for phone/texting functionality
- gaming controls (ideal for retro gaming)
- stylus
- lots of ports and slots
- volume wheel
- community support
- (hopefully) long-term support (but even not, it's still open for software and hardware mods, upgrades or fixes)
- it's cool, and
- there's _still_ nothing quite like it

I'm also hoping it will be fun to develop scripts and applications for so I can do more hacking, and replace most of what I currently do between my laptop and smartphone.

1- Linux support. NOT linux compatiblity, but support, knowing that everything from wifi to sleep mode to special keys will work and keep working on every update without any tinkering on my side. Used linux for many years in my laptops and nothing comes close to the user experience I had with pandora and expect from pyra.

2- Repairabilty. This is a portable gaming device for me, everything from buttons to screen, hinge, battery is subject to lot of stress. I want to replace the whole device when I want to, not because just a part of it got broken and I'm unable to fix it.

1- Linux support. NOT linux compatiblity, but support, knowing that everything from wifi to sleep mode to special keys will work and keep working on every update without any tinkering on my side. Used linux for many years in my laptops and nothing comes close to the user experience I had with pandora and expect from pyra.
Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had anything kernel related like wifi or keys go wrong on my laptop. I don't sleep my laptop much so I couldn't be sure about that although I do sleep my server running linux sometimes, and that also just keeps working. I did have a month recently where I couldn't load claws or gimp successfully for a month so I was without my mails or image editing for that span, but this laptop is so old now I can't run a mainstream linux any more (at least one with my required release strategy), so I'm on a small community sponsored linux spinoff which has manpower struggles sometimes, so I can wait.

The OpenPandora still does all I need (although with the purple screen of death, it's not healty for me to watch the screen for prolonged times). So I'm in to support the continuation of it.
Not only by buying a few, but also by staying on the boards, and cheer ideas.
For the OpenPandora I TRIED to test out all software uploaded in the repo's, and give it a go, then comment and rate, and I'll do that again for the Pyra. Hopefully other join me in this quest to get more rated software, this will make contributors feel valued and could result in more ports, more usefulness and ultimately, longer support in years.

My pandora died.
So i need urgently a replacement.
And, i want a small palmtop device again, to run Risc Os. (In the hope that RiscOs will run on it on the future)
All biger devices will stay at home = useless.
And sure the possibilities to run Linux on it, and MAME and such.

And, because i hate windows..

Is think RISC OS should run fine on it, although all the peripherals are unlikely to all work. I'd expect the SD cards to work, and at least the USB ports at USB 2 speeds, but everything else I'm less convinced about. If you can afford it, I reckon gifting a Pyra to Phlamethrower will have the best bang per buck.

and at least the USB ports at USB 2 speeds
Don't expect the OTG port to work at all, though - USB 3.0 no longer uses separate controllers for each supported USB version, these are all-in-one solutions. That's why early USB 3.0 controllers often had compatibility issues with some USB 1.1/2.0 devices.

I wasn't aware of that. I was aware that the USB2.0 A port on our Pandoras didn't actually support USB1.1 directly, so you'd need a hub to connect keyboards or mice that tend to use USB1.1, and that was because only a USB2 chip was installed not a USB2- chip which would combine USB2 and USB1.1 in one package.

But yeah, I guess the RPi and bigger boards that most RISC OS installations run on these days don't have OTG ports, or USB 3 ports, the RPi4 was the first Pi to bring in USB3 and RISC OS is still being ported to even boot on that.

As it is a portable and powerful gamers computer, fullspeed emulation of as many 8 and 16 bit computers as possible. I am hoping for flawless Atari ST, Amiga/A1200, SharpX68000 and solid dosbox. If this happens I will consider my money well spent.

Last edited:
Back