What Is With The Gp2x? Is It Junk?

mrchris

Still Fresh
I was considering picking up one of these, but it seems to be so plauged with problems that it's not even worth it. Bricked units, tv- out will only work with media files, you can't put a blank card in it or it destroys itself. I know it's a first edition, but it really seems to have alot of problems.

It's not even officially out yet...

Imagine SONY had released it's machine few months earlier, without enough testing, and unfinished firmware. Similar problems would have arisen. Plus crappy LCD. :)

Most of the problems are either completely false, exaggerated, or easily fixable as the firmware improves. But if you're that worried you shoudl probably go buy a gameboy.

mrchris posted on Dec 26 2005 at 08:18 PM said:
I was considering picking up one of these, but it seems to be so plauged with problems that it's not even worth it. Bricked units, tv- out will only work with media files, you can't put a blank card in it or it destroys itself. I know it's a first edition, but it really seems to have alot of problems.

yep it has problems. but, I still think it is absolutely fantastic!
All I can say is, it is THE best handheld for me. Being an open platform is truly revolutionary, and this shows in the amazing results already.

there are many well-explored discussions as to why open source is far preferable to corporate-controlled source (all findable on google). You may agree with that or not - it's entirely up to you.

the opensource scene isn't for everyone. some people prefer the safety and robustness (but almost vampiric control and manipulation) of the corporate bullsh*t-heirarchy. that's fine. each to their own. only you can say what you want.

there's a good maxim that applies here: You can have either 'security' or 'liberty' but not both, because they are mutually exclusive. In this case, 'security' refers to the robustness of, say, a psp or nintendo-ds, but the absolute market control that goes with this, and 'liberty' refers to the whole concept of open platform, whereby anyone can do anything within their abilities that they consider appropriate, or feel moved to do, and from which all sorts of unanticipatable creative magic arises.

heh! sorry to get political on you B)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could wait 1-2 months, and then buy it when you're sure the firmware is ok.

I own it already: if I do not consider the USB problems (I bought a card reader), I must say it is ok, I just need a few patience while waiting the firmware updates.

mrchris posted on Dec 26 2005 at 02:18 PM said:

TV-out only works w/ media files? Is that true? I have yet to hear that one. I assume that it's only a temporary thing until the firmware supports it. Yes, a gp2x now is probably not a good idea for someone who wants a plug -n- play experience. I bet in a short amount of time that will be possible though.

~telengard

Most of the negitive posts on the board are from people that either never post -or- only post when they have a problem. I mean come on, we could have just the opposite problem. Every Dick and Jane could be ranting about how wonderful it is. Then when a problem arises (which they always do) you wouldn't see it because the "I luv my 2x" crap would flood the forums. Just Like the repeated posts of "Cant connect using USB", or "my batteries died", "I bricked my unit",etc. Most of which have already been discussed and most even have been resolved.

telengard posted on Dec 26 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
TV-out only works w/ media files? Is that true? I have yet to hear that one. I assume that it's only a temporary thing until the firmware supports it.
The TV-Out is accessible by any software theoretically, but the devs have still to find out how it works, methinks...

Then don't get one. I will be enjoying mine and playing alot of great games on it. There are plenty of people who have 0 problems with the GP2x and don't post to say, "My unit is perfect and I have no problems."
Honestly, you would probably be better off with a GP32 at this point in time. It is much more mature and has all the bugs beaten out of it at this point.
On the other hand, if you want to get the latest and the greatest by all means get the GP2X, it is reallly sweet and will just keep getting better and better.
I am glad I got mind and I certianly don't worry about it one bit. I have updated the firmware and downloaded every piece of software avaliable for it.
So far, nothing but fun has come from the GP2X!!!

Aimless_E posted on Dec 26 2005 at 10:28 PM said:

Most of the negitive posts on the board are from people that either never post -or- only post when they have a problem. I mean come on, we could have just the opposite problem. Every Dick and Jane could be ranting about how wonderful it is. Then when a problem arises (which they always do) you wouldn't see it because the "I luv my 2x" crap would flood the forums. Just Like the repeated posts of "Cant connect using USB", or "my batteries died", "I bricked my unit",etc. Most of which have already been discussed and most even have been resolved.

Yep but still it should be clear that at now the gp2x is somewhat in "beta test period". It needs to be carefully used to not "brick it" and some of capabilities are absent (the TV out only for movies, the lack of hardware acceleration for SDL, the lack of some important options in the menus).

I must say I bricked my unit as well. It was my mistake (one not charged properly battery - junk charger) but hopefully it will be recovered soon. But what I could use it was great... The gp2x is truly awesome and there is no other handheld what even comes close.

So... if you are afraid of bugs then wait a while. The firmware will get better and most of the issues will be resolved. Then buy the gp2x if you still would want one.

I sometimes think this forum could be automated :)

Maybe it's all a script and I'm the only real person on here.

telengard posted on Dec 26 2005 at 08:10 PM said:
TV-out only works w/ media files? Is that true? I have yet to hear that one. I assume that it's only a temporary thing until the firmware supports it.
TV-out is only implemented in the movie player. From what I have heard from developers, the TV-out will work with any program, but it is up to the coder to put the option in there.

barnesy posted on Dec 26 2005 at 02:23 PM said:
Most of the problems are either completely false, exaggerated, or easily fixable as the firmware improves. But if you're that worried you shoudl probably go buy a gameboy.

I am a proud owner of a gp32 and I love it and would never even think of trading in for a psp or gameboy ds or advance or whatever. But, other then some problems the first day I had it, registering it and getting my copy of freelauncher, it just worked, just like a gameboy or psp (Oh, and I ot screwed by lik-sang they didn't send me my mug when I asked for it even though I my purchase qaulified me for it, they didn't even return my emails. I guess I just expected more, and sure I'm aware that people use the forums to get help, so you will see the problems posted in the forums alot making it look like their are nothing but problems. Oh well, for now I'll stick with my gp32 and wait until the bugs are worked out. Did the GP32 have alot of issues when it first came out?

Chris

mrchris posted on Dec 26 2005 at 12:18 PM said:

So, leave us alone, and go back to play with your PSP with 1.5 firmware. :p

Back