What happened to the Coding Competitions?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
This is missing a bit to spice things up recently, and the repo news are slowing down a bit so it should be a good time to organize a competition that would end by December or something.

ED mentioned after the previous one he would organize them regularly but nothing has been communicated since then so I'm not sure what happened with the idea.

Several people are actively working on projects so a deadline and prizes would be nice to motivate everyone :)

I guess ED is a bit tied up by the screenproblems and preordermess.

Give him a break.

Doesn't have to cost ED any time if he delegates the task. Someone who can be trusted to manage the competition and finances. Just keep the same rules as previous tournament.  The only thing ED needs to do then is create a new forum section the rest can be done by the community.

This is missing a bit to spice things up recently, and the repo news are slowing down a bit so it should be a good time to organize a competition that would end by December or something.

ED mentioned after the previous one he would organize them regularly but nothing has been communicated since then so I'm not sure what happened with the idea.

Several people are actively working on projects so a deadline and prizes would be nice to motivate everyone :)
Why not organise the 'Pandoralive coding competition' you could ask ED for a prize or two and also accept community donations for a prize fund.

Why not organise the 'Pandoralive coding competition' you could ask ED for a prize or two and also accept community donations for a prize fund.
Why not. I'll see if ED is interested in case I do something like that. As for community donations, that would have to go through ED, it's probably difficult for me to accept that.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a DSP coding competition now to keep te momentum?

Categories could be Audio/Video, Game, Misc?

Uh, seems that old page of Nick's Spoon was fckd by spam scripts.. 

anyway... for anyone who dont know what CGC was in gp2x era:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/34422-gp2x-crap-games-competition/page-1

"You must make the worst game you can within the time you've been given"
Games were built for the GP2X(?), I'm sure there's an emulator somewhere.
More importantly, at the bottom of the page they describe all the games that were created.
Some very funny stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, seems that old page of Nick's Spoon was fckd by spam scripts.. 

anyway... for anyone who dont know what CGC was in gp2x era:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/34422-gp2x-crap-games-competition/page-1

"You must make the worst game you can within the time you've been given"

Games were built for the GP2X(?), I'm sure there's an emulator somewhere.

More importantly, at the bottom of the page they describe all the games that were created.

Some very funny stuff.
Sounds awesome - i would participate

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would like to see a DSP challenge. bsp almost has a really usable toolchain that makes compiling new DSP binaries really easy.

It would also be a two pronged challenge: on one side you need code for the DSP and on the other you need ARM code to use it. It'd be possible to pair up and still work mostly independently. Like you could make a media player with one person doing the front end ARM stuff and another person porting decoders to the DSP.

Personally I would like to see a DSP challenge. bsp almost has a really usable toolchain that makes compiling new DSP binaries really easy.

It would also be a two pronged challenge: on one side you need code for the DSP and on the other you need ARM code to use it. It'd be possible to pair up and still work mostly independently. Like you could make a media player with one person doing the front end ARM stuff and another person porting decoders to the DSP.
Doubleplus :) But not sure many peopel would go in for it ..

Maybe a coding compo, with this as one route, but also have the traditional route so as not to discourage people who have no interest in this?

jeff

Maybe the competition could encourage optional use of the DSP even if it is not actually being used. Like "here's the code that calls the DSP for MP3 playback, except it doesn't actually do anything because the DSP doesn't have an MP3 block decoder yet". Or whatever. "This calls the DSP to multiply numbers together just because it can!" Just something simple so people can get a hang of the calling convention, even if it doesn't actually do anything.

Back