What Computer Should I Get?

daclassicgamingmaster

It Is Your Birthday.
Website
krispf3.blogspot.com
Since my mother is selling our house and i'm graduating, she wants to get me a GOOD computer. So I want to go all out.

I was thinking something like a voodoo or a fragbox. Something uber powerful that will be upgradeable for YEARS to come :D

I want the real deal here, guys. The top of the line if you get my drift :)

any ideas? Also, if I get something like a fragbox that only is a tower, what's a REALLY good monitor?

Please note that building one is out of the question, as im a retard, so please dont suggest that.

thanks

- DCGM

If you take a notion to play games on your computer, you might want to consider "Alienware." If I didn't build my own stuff, that would be what I would end up with. :) It is not cheap, but they are some powerful systems.

yes, I have heard of alienware. Psymastr has a laptop from them, but he and many others have told me that the PCs are to-be-desired.

Has anyone had experiences with Voodoo? They're fucking expensive as hell, but i've heard they are the cream of the crop :D

have no idea which ones are the best, but i know dells are very easy to upgrade. Well thats because i got one and opening the computor is easy to do and replacing my motherboard was easy aswell.
but heck i havnt had much xperience in computors, so all computors might be easy to upgrade for all i know.
i think alienware is owned by dell now haha
aprently mesh is good anyway

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?...ODUCT&KEY=88533
yes thst is good

If you want the best of the best, and don't want to build your own, then why not try:

Scan 3XS Panther: Comes with a 30" TFT, 4 NVidia 7900's (Quad SLI). AMD FX-60. 2Gb RAM, 300GB HD (2x150GB Raptor X in RAID0), and loads of other goodies for just £5,436.

Or a ArmariGravistar CoolFlow-X2: 20" TFT, 2 NVidia 7800GTX's (SLI), AMD X2 4800, 1Gb RAM, 900GB HD (3x300GB Seagate Baracuda), and loads of other goodies for £4,838.

Build you own goddamnit. You're in the US, so you get great prices on computer hardware. You can easily build a ridiculously good computer for less than $2000 less the monitor.

Just some "awesome" ideas and rough prices:
512mb vram via SLI: $350
2gb ddr2: $180
1tb 10,000rpm scuzzy raid0: $450
3x dl dvd+-r/w/ram: $225
sli mobo 4 ram scsi etc: $150
glowy case w/ water cooling, temp, and spinning rims: $100

There's no reason to pay an extra ~%30 just because someone built it for you (e.g, Alienware).

if you want it to be upgradeable this is a pretty bad point right now, wait at least a month and than get a am2 with ddr2, pcie,sata, nforce500 chipset or something alike.

Dont get a 939 platform now, as squidge sugested, as they dont make any new socket 939 cpus anymore, and ddr1 is also semi dead.

well I probably wont be buying it for a couple of months anyhow. I just wanted some opinions ahead of time.

And yes iignotus, i agree....but i dont know how to build my own ;)

@ squidge: no clue what you're talking about :huh:

I would recommend if you can find a computer store that will let you buy buildable parts and maybe ask if they can build one for you if you don't wanna do it. That's what I did when I bought a new PC at the beginning of the year. It was no extra money but I did have to wait a day but it was well worth it. Well there's gotta be at least one shop like that around where you live, if not some online stores should be able to build it for you and ship it over.

Has anyone had experiences with Voodoo? They're fucking expensive as hell, but i've heard they are the cream of the crop :D
Hell yes, the Voodoo 2 will set you back a bit, but it has no problem running Doom 3 at a solid 40fps.
im not sure if this is a joke or not, but the voodoo2 wasnt even made by Voodoo ;)

Anyway, I was thinking of a Voodoo Omen. any personal experiences with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget AM2, it's shit; has no benefits (check review on the internet: sometimes they are slower than their old counterparts). What you want is a core duo 2, if you can wait 1-2 months. These a looking BEASTLY (overclocked can get to 5ghz Link breaking numerous records) as well as awesome gaming performance Link

Have been researching this all week, and i can't see AMD coming close to this; the're trying to draw attention away with their badly named 4x4 boards, which will be able to hold two cpus. However these will be useless to gamers (comparison with gp2x second core situation lol :D ) and people reckon it will actually slow them down.

lol, this sounds very anti-amd but i'm genuinely excited about this processor; and this is coming from a person who has never owned an intel product in his life! (my 9 year old pentium 1 laptop does not count lol)

As for monitors; as you're considering the ridiculously overpriced voodoo machines, I'm guessing you've got quite a bit of cash, I would recommend the ONLY good product dell makes: 2407WFP 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor which is the one I'm getting as soon as i get enough money, or my dream: Dell Ultrasharp 3007WFP 30". The only alternative monitors to these are apple ones, which according to reviews and forums are not as good and more expensive

Hope this helps; i recommend you wait for the core duo 2 (conroe)

EDIT: [OMG I'm so excited....lol]

EDIT2: BUILD YOUR OWN PC!!: it's seriously easy (takes about an hour), and you get it exactly as you want it. Also shop around a bit as prices can vary greatly for some products

Since my mother is selling our house and i'm graduating, she wants to get me a GOOD computer. So I want to go all out.

I was thinking something like a voodoo or a fragbox. Something uber powerful that will be upgradeable for YEARS to come :D

I want the real deal here, guys. The top of the line if you get my drift :)

any ideas? Also, if I get something like a fragbox that only is a tower, what's a REALLY good monitor?

Buy a PS3. According to Phil Harrision, you don't need a PC, once you've got yourself a PS3. Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

Ahh... Dell 24in Dells. I'll try to explain.

The 2407 is much like what it replaces, the 2405 fpw, however the 2407 has been having tons of issues, mostly including gradient issues, text fuzzyness and banding over DVI, VGA (less noticable) and component. If you need a HDMI connection for copy protected HD, get a 2407 in a few months at your own risk. By then the firmware should be patched properly.

On the other side, the 2405 is now being phased out by the nearly identical 2407. It has no major problems, and is retaiing at about $759 (down from $950) on Dell's website (In the last few hours they changed it to "call for latest price"). It can also play HD including 1080i over component, so the Xbox 360 is fair game.

Bottom line:
- The 2405 is a fantastic montor for now and a good choice later if you don't plan to play HD-DVD or Blue Ray on it later.
- The 2407 is more expensive and currently has issues, but if you wait until the issues have been solved, make sure the $200 HDMI premum is worth it for you.

Pictures of the 2405 doing HD. (Try 1080i-1.JPG to get an idea)

Whew... long post. :p

Dell monitors suck. Too many problems. Alienware is now owned by dell, plus their towers were nothing special anyway. Voodoo omen.

EDIT: Good luck upgrading that :p

It uses exact fit parts and is water cooled. Have fun replacing that.

Dell monitors suck. Too many problems. Alienware is now owned by dell, plus their towers were nothing special anyway. Voodoo omen.

Im getting one so I guess I will ;)

the one im getting wont need to be upgraded for a good 10 years :lol:

Im getting one so I guess I will ;)

the one im getting wont need to be upgraded for a good 10 years :lol:

I think you mean 1 year... much new advances are afoot in processor power

Back