Were there ever violent Game Boy games?

porg

The Game Boy games I played and oversaw so far gave the impression, that the GB was quite a child/youth-friendly platform, featuring no graphic violence and gore.

Out of curiosity in video game culture, I am asking: Have there ever been violent games for the Game Boy? Original, homebrew?

I appreciate both short hints but also someone, who could give a broader answer to that (Why? Simply because the graphics would not support it, or by policy? Etc…)

Terminator 2 was cool for an oldie. Shoot and kill all robots... No humans though

Not sure what you mean. Gameboy had a lot of the same kinds of games as were on NES and later SNES, so I guess it depends on whether or not those had any games you'd consider violent. The Contra 3 Gameboy port comes to mind in particular. Maybe you're thinking of Pokemon, but that actually came out pretty late in the original GB's life.

"Fortress of Fear" made ME violent, I remember that I've never made it through the first (!) Level, what a crap game, luckily it was just borrowed.

Soon as I read the OP the first game that sprang to mind was Double Dragon, one of the first games I played on Gameboy, probably after Mario and Tetris.

Some level of violence I guess in that one

Shouldn't this be in Offtopic->Other Platforms?

But yeah, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Terminator 2 are ones I remember

Kirby Dreamland, I mean, you eat people and spit them out to kill their friends…

Super Mario Land. Heck, you run around setting animals on fire and jump on them until they die. I'd call that very violent. It even got suicide bombing turtles who blow themselves up with their last gasping breath in an attempt to get Mario.

Pit Fighter was a violent game for GB it had really visceral sound effects. It was a great way to spend long car journeys during the summer holidays, very cool and underrated game IMO

Back