Web browsers on P2

Which browser(s)?

• Total voters

in3D

Please tell me if your choice isn't on the list.

I think Netfront NX would do fantastic on P2, also Chromium.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think were trying to avoid "defaults." its the whole idea of the "Open" in Pandora

Since it's going to come with Android I'd expect the default to be the stock Android browser..

Since it's going to come with Android I'd expect the default to be the stock Android browser..

So, no Angrstrom booting anymore by default ? Not interested in P2 if that's the case.

Otherwise I want Chromium and Firefox under a linux distro, because both are blazing fast if the processor follows.

Craig and ED stated several times that they are going to support (and I guess that this means to build in) a full desktop linux, angstrom or whatever.

I'm guessing that there will be a batch or 'exclusive premium preview pandoras' (P2 prototypes!) sold at great expense to collectors with too much money, and given away to devs...

Craig and ED stated several times that they are going to support (and I guess that this means to build in) a full desktop linux, angstrom or whatever.

Craig is not that clear on that point. What he says is that Android will be by default and that it will be POSSIBLE to install other systems too. So if it comes with Android and nothing else when sold, it clearly means the amount of work that will go in whatever linux distro you could install is going to be minimal. Which makes de facto the P2 an Android device that is simply hackable, but not Linux centric anymore. I want the P2 to be Linux centric, if not I am not even remotely interested in it.

The problem is Craig and ED haven't presented much of a unified front on this..

ED has made it pretty clear he wants to run Linux on his, and since he's selling Pandora 2 from his shop I would expect at a minimum that ones purchased from him will have the option of being preloaded with Linux. I can't say for sure that means Angstrom, but I'm not really sure what the fixation is with Angstrom either.. still seems more likely than something else.

ED has also said he'd like a dual boot if possible, but doesn't know yet if there'll be space. To clarify, he said that if it has an internal (micro)SD card for storage it should have room, and if he can technically work this out I'm sure he could at least sell it as an option too. It's feasible that ED would offer an option that Craig wouldn't, but that'd be pretty stingy on his part.

So if you just want a device that's shipped with Linux it's pretty likely you can get one. If you want a device where ALL of them are shipped with Linux that's still up in the air. And it's unknown how "good" the distro will be, at the very least device specific drivers need to be written/ported from Pandora.. notaz did a lot of that work on Pandora, and he isn't very interested in Pandora 2 at this point, so it could be a challenge.

We have been totally clear on this numerous times recently that it will run both, this must be the third or fourth time I've confirmed it.

There is no conspiracy here.

The Android port is being done for us and is a condition of the hardware, but there is no restriction on normal Linux.

Anyhow, how knows, they may well be much more merged by the time the P2 is ready.

And once again you completely miss the point. We get that it'll be capable of running Linux. That has never been the issue. No one is talking about a conspiracy. We're talking about what it'll ship with, which you have NEVER made a statement on and every time asked you've merely reiterated that you could put Linux on it if you want. Are you this thick on purpose?

it will run both

Is that:

• The customer choose an OS for it to come preloaded with?
  • dual boot out of the box?
  • All shipping with android, and an option to get Linux as an add-on?
  • or vice-versa?
  • something else?

Anyhow, how knows, they may well be much more merged by the time the P2 is ready.

Come on, Craig, tell me you're joking with this one. You're smart enough to know that all GNU/Linux and Android share is Linux, the kernel. Completion of the merge between the Android kernel and Linux would not make GNU/Linux and Android the same or even a similar OS. All it would mean for you is you would be able to get away with only storing one copy of the kernel and sharing it with GNU/Linux and Android (so, I guess you save something like 30MB on the internal SD card, based on a quick look at my boot partition).

A unification of android/Linux and GNU/Linux could be fun, but seems extremely unlikely.

I suppose being able to share a kernel might make it easier to switch bettween them (would it make running android apps from GNU/Linux any easier?)

I'm sure it would take a lot of work from a seasoned dev, but android is largely open, windows isn't, and wine works

Good god. until ED/Craig reveal the P2. this is all randomness without merit.

most people don't seem to understand how Linux and/or android work... so regardless, you just need to chill out and wait.

plus Craig has said many times. The P2 will offer a full linux desktop and a Android OS.. Good times

I hope Notaz stays.

"It will run" and "it will offer" are not strictly equivalent. Why is this concept causing so much difficulty?

"It will run" and "it will offer" are not strictly equivalent. Why is this concept causing so much difficulty?

The different is Linux and Android are in no way exclusive.. If you can boot Android, you're offering linux.. with a new hat

eg: A macbook pro will run OSX while offering windows. The pandora will run android and linux? It doesn't seem like a hard sell. :)

I also hope you're going to stay for this device Exophase.

Given that Craig's involvement with pandora1's software was pretty much zero (only thing I can think of is asking skeezix to do minimenu), I wonder if he can answer this question. Only buying Android support package from TI or whatever is not going to give working Linux distribution, that's for sure.

Back