We have a new wiki main page :)

Put emulators into software projects, and rename it software.

Omg, the groups content are horrible, this has no sense at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
That wasnt constructive. You didnt even say why.

its (hardware/)(software/)(emulators/)(gui/)(development))))) It all follows a path.

Both by order of importance and some sort of logical hierarchy.

The first two links in your post seem to be identical.  Where's the old front page (not that we'll need it any more, hopefully)?  You seem to have two paragraphs about one page next too ;)

On the topic of the new front page, it might be nice if it were more obvious it was clickable.  For aesthetic reasons I think it'd be better aligned to one of the edges, probably the right.

Other than that, it's very nice to be out of the limbo between wiki versions.  Good job!

That wasnt constructive. You didnt even say why.

its hardware >software>emulators>gui>development It all follows a path.
I'll say why. It's like when i look in my thrash can:

cap.png

I don't think the "new" front page fits. The presentation of information shouldn't be in shrunken categories - Except for those advanced topics. People don't want to dig for information.

I dont know, it was a wall of text before. If someone can figure out to have maybe 3 things visible and the rest autocollapsed it would be a good compromise. Its not a nested menu anymore, so digging is down to one click and visual sorting.

Lets give it some use and see how the shoe fits.

I've removed the • points, looks a bit better. Probably my main argument. The content still needs to be sorted & cleaned up though.

The "Team" section is not collapsed either.

Less is more, good call. It could be its nice to have them if we can remove the boxes. Need new mediawiki version first though.

The team section is things we could fit into the right hand sidepanel, if we can figure out how. Also suggested is removing the sidepanel and keeping it this way.

Combination of handheld game console and miniature computer. Open, meaning that you can use it however you like. No restrictions. You are free (and encouraged) to do whatever you like with it. Anyone can write, port, and release software for it at no cost
I feel this isnt to the bone, suggestions?

Handheld game console miniature computer. Open, use it however you like. No restrictions but freedom. Write, port, and release software, free of charge.

Kids are on that 140 char pace these days, our approach is broccoli, we need swag.

I've also been thinking the Categories should go like this

• Hardware Documentation - Stays as is but focuses on hardware 

• Software Documentation - Completely new category but focuses on the "Official Software", SWAP files, Modems, Midi whatever.

• Additional Software - Focuses on specific software packages that are appealing to potential / new customers. Such as FireFox, LibreOffice, maybe a showcase of some other applications?

• Emulators - Should be branched out by companies with pages for each company. For Example: Sega, Nintendo, Sony. Keeps things constructive, simple and workable. I will come up with a template a bit later.

• Other OS's - Covers additional Compatible Operating Systems 

• Development. BAU development stuff.

• Team - Stuff related to the Open Pandora Team. (Although this info could go in the footer or something)

Ideas?

In keeping with that idea we can have a collaboration with the repo. Since having the info maintainable on a wiki is useful,(and it offloads the dev) it can be an automatic link to the wiki on the repo that you only have to create on the wiki and it shows up on the repo. We can hide it from {main} and instead put it in a new {repository} class of pages on the wiki.

We are not the repo, but we can shine some light on projects that are ultimately very connected to the project, like C4A for example.  Heh, isnt that what we do wrong on the openpandora front page?

So we do the "ingame story" "button config" and compability lists pages, and the repo will be the repo.

In keeping with that idea we can have a collaboration with the repo. Since having the info maintainable on a wiki, it can be an automatic link to the wiki on the repo that you only have to create and it shows up there. We can hide it from {main} and instead put it in a new {repository} class of pages on the wiki.

We are not the repo, but we can shine some light on projects that are ultimately very connected to the project, like C4A for example.
C4A would appear under "Additional Software"

In addition to "Hardware Documentation" we could take a more generic approach like I've said with Emulation and name the specific components and people can learn about them that way. Things like "Keyboard, Nubs, Screen, Microphone, Audio, Power, Case, Battery, LEDs, CPU" instead of spreading jam across the board ;)

The old Design is much better, more gentle for the eyes an you see what you are searching for. The new...uhm... "thing" has no design at all. OK, I'm a little bit in Web Design so I usualy complain alot about such stuff, nothing personal. But please, just follow some basic webdesign guidelines to please usability and look a little bit more. We are not in the early 90's anymore. ;)

I've begun on working on structure for the Wiki using the main page idea.

You can see this here http://pandorawiki.org/Rearranged_Main

Just a warning, things might get messy during this change and some pre-existing links might break (Such as the Slackware ones, they'll be moved to the Other OS Category to keep things tidy and easily searchable.

I've decided that its probably a good idea to have Emulators arranged by company instead of individual platforms on the main page (given that there are so many emulators and it otherwise becomes a problem when maintaining. Having Emulators in their own container makes it a LOT easier to link someone to a page (especially from here) so if someone wanted a NES emulator you could easily remember pandorawiki.org/Emulators/Nintendo instead of jumping up and down looking for it :p

As for Development, feedback from developers would be good to what they think is good to cover on the main-page. I'm pretty sure I have some of the stuff covered. (Except for Compiling)

Back