Release wbar

mcobit

Advanced Member
Here is a port of wbar, a very fast and small applauncher.

http://code.google.com/p/wbar/

12pJYl.jpg

Get the pnd here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,338

To add launchers do the following:

Start wbar from accessories/Warlock Bar

On the right should be the bar with only two icons in it.

Klick on the top one, so this will open the configuration dialog.

Now you can click on "New" to create a new launcher.

You should give it a title.

If you want to start PNDs with it you have to write the following into the Command field:

Code:
pnd_run /media/YOURSDCARD/pandora/menu|apps|desktop/YOURPND.pnd

As an icon you can select one from /tmp/iconcache as there are all the icons of your PNDs stored.

Click on Accept when you are finished and then on "Reload" to apply the changes to the bar.

Then close the configuration window. You can also reload the bar by rightclicking on it.

Have a lot of fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

A personal thank you for porting this over.. I cannot wait to try it later today !

You have made my Day !!! :D

I signed up just to say THANK YOU!

This works really great. Only issue I'm having is getting it to start with the pandora. Executing

Code:
pnd_run /media/.../wbar.pnd

at startup simply opens the settings. Starting the actual bar must require some modification of the command, correct?

I signed up just to say THANK YOU!

This works really great. Only issue I'm having is getting it to start with the pandora. Executing

Code:
pnd_run /media/.../wbar.pnd

at startup simply opens the settings. Starting the actual bar must require some modification of the command, correct?

As this is a multiapppnd, you should specify the appnumber with the pnd_run command as described here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/58858-wbar/page__view__findpost__p__941710

The bar itself should be started with pnd_run -0 /waytoyourpnd/wbar.pnd but if that doesn't work try -1

Yup I just figured that out and was on my way back here to post. Thanks for the quick reply!

Turns out -0 is the config and -1 is the bar.

Everything works great so far. I'll let you know if anything breaks.

EDIT- Final question. Can I safely eject my SD with the bar running? The pandora won't let me unmount it without quitting the bar, and the only method of quitting the bar I have found is to hold the pandora button and kill the app. (which only works half the time)

Here are the screenies I posted on the other boards if you want to put one in the OP. :)

Code:
[URL=http://imgur.com/kkGPb][img=http://i.imgur.com/kkGPbl.jpg][/URL]

With icon zoom:

Code:
[URL=http://imgur.com/12pJY][img=http://i.imgur.com/12pJYl.jpg][/URL]

[sorry for doublepost]

EDIT- Final question. Can I safely eject my SD with the bar running? The pandora won't let me unmount it without quitting the bar, and the only method of quitting the bar I have found is to hold the pandora button and kill the app. (which only works half the time)
I don't think I've ever unmounted my cards before ejecting. (Bad Gruso). But I never do it with anything running, so I've come up with a solution for this. I don't know how kosher it is though ("Killing is not nice, but it works." -ED). I've just done a fresh run through SomeGuy99's great screenshot tutorial, so it just took a few modifications to set this up.

Open Mousepad, enter the lines below then save it as killbar.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

killall wbar

Now open a terminal where the file is saved, and give it executable permissions:

Code:
chmod +x killbar.sh

Now install it:

Code:
sudo cp killbar.sh /usr/bin/killbar

You can now type killbar at the command line to kill gently close down Wbar. And you've probably already surmised that it can now become an icon on Wbar itself. :) Go into Wbar config, add a new item with killbar as the command, and pick any old icon (I just used the default wbar icon).

I, for one, vote that we figure out how to move over to this for an alternative to xfce and minimenu .. this is far, far better than either option, imho. :) Very sexy and easy to use. Would be great to have d-pad control over it.

What I love is that it suits mousing over, but you can also touch-drag over it and release it on the icon you want to launch. This makes it great for nub, stylus or finger.

I, for one, vote that we figure out how to move over to this for an alternative to xfce and minimenu .. this is far, far better than either option, imho. :) Very sexy and easy to use. Would be great to have d-pad control over it.

To do this, there would need to be pnd support hacked in and it should have subcategories for that, But this is a lot of work.

If anyone wants to fork it and try... You can do that.

Edit. Also it could be centered onscreen with multiple lines of icons over oneanother.

Edit2: Gruso: Killing here is no problem, I think. The only thing, that could break is the configurationfile and this is not touched while only the bar runs.

Thank, gruso, I'll be setting this up today.

I think this launcher is a terrific supplement to the original menu, but it definitely would require a lot of work to be a replacement for it. Perhaps there is an elegant method of just skinning the original taskbar to look like wbar?

wbar + Conky = sexytimes.

HpEJW.jpg

Hey Gruso.. Where do I find the info on how to install Conky ???

I like it...

/edit

Found it.. and installed.. Excellent !

btw) Do you know where in the system folders I find the apps for the trash can and other system programs ? I want to add the trash can and others to my bar..

Okay, here's something weird. Starting gpSP from wbar causes it to run horrendously slow and often crash. I have tested this, first launching from wbar and then from the xfce menu. Launching from the xfce menu it is always fine again. This doesn't happen for any of the other programs I've tested. Could this be because it's a GINGE-wrapped PND?

Okay, here's something weird. Starting gpSP from wbar causes it to run horrendously slow and often crash. I have tested this, first launching from wbar and then from the xfce menu. Launching from the xfce menu it is always fine again. This doesn't happen for any of the other programs I've tested. Could this be because it's a GINGE-wrapped PND?
Same thing here. This happens only with this specific emulator.

Can you guys try some launching some other GINGE wrapped PNDs from wbar? Here are two:

Methane Bros works fine but Wind and Water crashes after the message "It all starts with a Pixel" when I launch it from wbar. This doesnt happen when I start from the regular menu. I tried to change the command using -0,-1 and -2 options, but WnW still crashes in the same place.

Back