Warning - Ebay Sandisk 4gb Fraud!

xenepp

Still Fresh
Hi all,

First off, glad to join your great community here and hope to enjoy my stay for a long time to come!

I've posted though because I wanted to warn others of fraudulent Sandisk SD cards on Ebay.

I bought a San Disk Ultra II 4GB SD card from an Ebay seller called "oddznsodzuk", though I don't believe he even knew it was fake and has a good feedback rating. He's also going to give me a full refund once he's recieved it back.

If you get one of these cards though and it won't work on anything you test it on, check to see if there is a serial number on the back. If not, it's fake. If so, call San Disk tech support and give it to them. They can tell you if it's fake or not.

Worthy of note is that San Disk's website indicates the Ultra II Sd does not even come in the 4GB flavor.

Here's San Disk's tech support numbers worldwide. They are very helpful and will give you a case number you can later use should getting a refund be an issue. If you paid via Paypal, you can give the case number to them and they will automatically refund you.

SanDisk Support Contact Information

Phone(s)
Technical Support
1(866) SAN.DISK (North America)
1-866-726-3475

North America Technical Support
7 days a week:
6:00 am. - 6:00 pm. Pacific Standard Time
9:00 am - 9:00 pm Eastern Standard Time

Holiday hours:
Dec 17-18 Sat. & Sun.
10:00 am to 7:00 pm Eastern Standard Time

Dec 24 Sat.
10:00 am to 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time

Dec 31 Sat.
10:00 am to 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time

SanDisk grüvi Music Card
1-866-783-7811

SanDisk Cruzer Freedom USB Flash Drive
1-800-839-8265

SanDisk Cruzer with U3™ Smart USB Flash
1-866-248-4498

SanDisk Extreme Memory cards
1-866-270-5532

Europe Technical Support Numbers
Monday - Friday: 10:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M
Central European Time
*Closed Saturdays, Sundays and Major European holidays.

UK Technical Support
+44 (0) 207-365-4193
(English support only)

France Technical Support
+33 (0) 171 230 328
(French and English support)

Netherlands Technical Support
+31 (0) 20 015029
(Dutch and English support)

Germany Technical Support
+49 (0) 69 50072840
(German and English support)

Portugal Technical Support
+351 214159093
(Portuguese and English support)

Italy Technical Support
+(39) 026-9682-725
(Italian and English support)

Spain Technical Support
+34 914534311
(Spanish and English support)

Israel Technical Support
1 809 440513
(English and Hebrew)
Israel_support@sandisk.com

Sweden Technical Support
020-79 52 02
(English)

Switzerland Technical Support
0800 564811
(English, German, French, Italian)

Asia Pacific Technical Support Numbers
Support hours are M-F 10 am - 7 pm. HKT

North China
(Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei, Shanxi, Neimenggu (Inner Mongolia), Liaoning, Jilin, Heilonhijang, Henan, and Shandong)
10800 852 1251
Asia_support@sandisk.com

South China
(Anhui, Chongqing, Fujian, Gansu, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hainan, Hunan, Hubei, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Ningxia, Qinghai, Shanghai, Shaanxi, Sichuan, Xinjiang, Xizang, Yunnan, and Zhejiang)
10800 152 1251
Asia_support@sandisk.com

Hong Kong
Asia_support@sandisk.com

South Korea
080-688-0880
Asia_support@sandisk.com

Singapore
800-852-3607
Asia_support@sandisk.com

Taiwan
00801-85-6062
Asia_support@sandisk.com

Australia
1800 793 652
(9am to 6pm Australian Eastern Standard Time)

Thailand
001800 4413131
The hours are M-F 10am-7pm HKT
Thailand_support@sandisk.com

Russia Technical Support
+7 (8) 495-795-0847

Anyway, good to be here, no doubt you'll see me about!

-Joel

That's just the thing, it was about £60, which is about or just OVER what I'd have expected to pay.

-Joel

holy crap. thanks for the info... good that the seller is taking it back. 60 punds is nothing to waste for something like that, that`s too much money to be ripped off just like that.

How is it fake exactly? Is it supposed to be 4GB but it`s less or does it not work at all???

If someone sells something knowing the item is not what it is represented to be, they are committing a criminal act. Problem is the internet is global and individual people are hard to locate, so it is very much a case of "buyer beware".

Best to keep to proper internet site shops - ones preferably in your own country, certainly ones which have an address and reply to your e-mail enquiry prior to ordering. If they don't reply to a pre-sales query, you will not get a reply if you have a problem...

How is it fake exactly? Is it supposed to be 4GB but it`s less or does it not work at all???

It's just dead. Windows won't read it and after about 5-10 secs the reader's light goes off. Tried it in about 4 digi cams and the GP2X; no workey.

-Joel

I suppose thinking about it from a criminal's point of view, fake SD cards are probably very simple to make - a pieice of plastic with some metal contacts - peanuts. And seeing how our society is relying more and more on flash storage, I'd think the market for fakes is pretty huge...

bacteria posted on Sep 15 2006 at 03:29 PM said:
ones which have an address and reply to your e-mail enquiry prior to ordering. If they don't reply to a pre-sales query, you will not get a reply if you have a problem...
Your words are jewels ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the warning, xenepp. man, what a rotten thing to happen. :angry:

yeah, I mostly get my stuff from 'proper' online shops. ebay is just so full of scams. and there's usually no comeback - ebay don't give a sh*t. I'm amazed you're getting your money back, to be honest.

Well! after reading the posts (Thanks for the warning BTW!!) i did some checking and he bought that card of somebody else! (user id 24memorysupplier) for £41!!! so he must of realised the problem and tried to sell it on (at a profit!!!)

:angry:

Wow, what a tosser!

I've no bloody sympathy for him now!

Thanks for the heads up mate!

-Joel

Wizza posted on Sep 15 2006 at 11:37 AM said:
Well! after reading the posts (Thanks for the warning BTW!!) i did some checking and he bought that card of somebody else! (user id 24memorysupplier) for £41!!! so he must of realised the problem and tried to sell it on (at a profit!!!)

:angry:
o_O That scumbag.

Xenepp posted on Sep 15 2006 at 01:32 PM said:

It's just dead. Windows won't read it and after about 5-10 secs the reader's light goes off. Tried it in about 4 digi cams and the GP2X; no workey.

-Joel

Do you think it applies to memory card readers too. ive had 3 a belkin 1 £20 (still in good use) 2 sandisk ones the 1st sandisk £6(33in one) blew up and the new 1 £6(54 in 1) doesnt run at all looks pretty though :unsure:

I'd love to know why most EBay SD card sales have prices like $1 Buy-it-Now but the SHIPPING is $50+! I don't think it's a scam tactic since it's so WIDELY used, maybe they want to save money because Ebay charges sellers a percentage of their BIN price...

clarky2o2o posted on Sep 16 2006 at 07:11 AM said:
Xenepp posted on Sep 15 2006 at 01:32 PM said:

-Joel

Do you think it applies to memory card readers too. ive had 3 a belkin 1 £20 (still in good use) 2 sandisk ones the 1st sandisk £6(33in one) blew up and the new 1 £6(54 in 1) doesnt run at all looks pretty though :unsure:
There are 54 different types of flash memory?

Back