Voltage Question

Gamer7

Still Fresh
what's the highest voltage the gp2x can handle? I don't mean the for the adapter but for a battery.

i wouldn't try any higher, knowing that even with the standar 2.4v it will fry eventualy... (in about 2 or 3 years of use)

Ok its like this the GP2X has a switch mode voltage converter in it so it will operate from 2.2V to 3.5, the problem is as the battery voltage drops it takes more current, it is this increases in current that fries the unit so by using power pack or 2 alkaline batteries(3V) less strain on the switch mode voltage converter unit lasts longer

I checked this a long time ago, here's the result for anyone who missed them then:

2.5V - upto 850mA = 2.125W
2.9V - upto 690mA = 2.001W
3.1V - upto 650mA = 2.015W
3.3V - upto 590mA = 1.947W
3.7V - upto 530mA = 1.961W

As you can see, 3.3V seems to be the best, but there really isn't that much difference if you can keep the voltage >= 2.9V.

Going above 3.7V doesn't really change the wattage by much, which is the important figure.

Hi
From your fingers 3.3V is the optimum voltage, it not the watts that is the problem its the current, that currents switched by transistors inside the IC, the problem is at low voltage it is passing current close to its maximum limit but at 3-3.3v it is definitely in the safe zone for that IC

Squidge said:
I checked this a long time ago, here's the result for anyone who missed them then:

2.5V - upto 850mA = 2.125W
2.9V - upto 690mA = 2.001W
3.1V - upto 650mA = 2.015W
3.3V - upto 590mA = 1.947W
3.7V - upto 530mA = 1.961W

As you can see, 3.7V seems to be the best, but there really isn't that much difference if you can keep the voltage >= 2.9V.

Going above 3.7V doesn't really change the wattage by much, which is the important figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
laharl said:
so, should i change my plan to mod my f200 from 2 pairs in parallel to 3 in series...?

First off paralleling batteries is not a good idea and 3 rechargeable batteries in series the voltage is to high and 2 batteries is to low, use one lithium battery

but the problem is "how do i recharge a litiun batery?" (AA size or cellphone pack)
i still haven't seen a AA ion-li batery or a charger for ion-li batteries yet.
and cellphones ones are too long or too wide T_T (and would need a cellphone to charge that battery)

laharl said:
but the problem is "how do i recharge a litiun batery?" (AA size or cellphone pack)
i still haven't seen a AA ion-li batery or a charger for ion-li batteries yet.
and cellphones ones are too long or too wide T_T (and would need a cellphone to charge that battery)
Go here

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lithium-Ion-BATTERY-CHARGER-For-KODAK-CR-V3-CRV3-Z740_W0QQitemZ280396945555QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item4148f5d893

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UNOMAT-Akku-CR-V3-RCR-V3-SBP-1603-LB01-Li-ion-2500mAh_W0QQitemZ360199479953QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDE_Elektronik_Computer_Foto_Camcorder_Stromversorgung_PM?hash=item53dd8fe291

RedBaron said:
From your fingers 3.3V is the optimum voltage, it not the watts that is the problem its the current, that currents switched by transistors inside the IC, the problem is at low voltage it is passing current close to its maximum limit but at 3-3.3v it is definitely in the safe zone for that IC
correct, 3.3V is the optimum voltage, probably because the step up ic doesn't do anything at that voltage and above. I've corrected my typo.

It's not just current, it's current at a particular voltage (which equals wattage). Current will always increase as voltage decreases.

Back