Vintage Pyra?

The Artikel is also 2 Yeahrs old now,
And yes, the Pyra Design is quite Old as its after the Pandora Design from 2008, just whit a few diverenc like the Logo and the 2 more Shoulderbuttons and a diverent Keyboard Layout and the Lid Logo..
You cant see from outside that its also got mechanical Redesign as its case design now supports the OLD Hinge so its works now like it should..

And yes, also the SOC is quite OLD now, but not Vintage, as this would means it runs on the Ship from the C64 par exemple..

Its a though topic whit these Artikels as they only write there own opinion, so it could be somewhone reads the Artikel and then dont want to buy the Pyra

Just like on the Pandora, there will ever be one that write against the Device,
And shure, the Pyra is a "Liebhaberstück", unlike these tonnes of GPD Devices that are allready on the marked now..,

If i may make a comparasion: There is now a new RC Unimog Modell on the Market, from the Company Scaleart, it looks quite cool, got lots of Features (like a Optional Hydraulic whit 20 Bar for Modell Tools, ), but its about 5000 €,
For about 300 € you can also get the Tamiya Unimog, which is also not that bad but just a CC01 Chassis whit a Plastic Cover in the Shape of an Unimog..
Lets say the Pyra is the Scale Art Unimog, and the Tamiya is one of these other current Windows 10 Handhelds..

*Cough* for 5000€ you can get a real one too.
What is a real one in that example? A full laptop?

Hi

https://www.eteknix.com/dragonbox-pyra-handheld-pc-almost-ready-after-four-years/

Is that Pyra image current or relevant at all? Already vintage look? I have lost out on the threads for few months now.

Nataraj

No, it is not. The article is 2 years old and shows a prototype from that date.

For up to date information:

The first threads here:

ED's twitter:

Or one of the latest articles about the Pyra, showing one of the latest pre-retail finished units, with the coated case:

*Cough* for 5000€ you can get a real one too.
What is a real one in that example? A full laptop?

Not realy, as a good Laptop may be less than the price of the Pyra
A Real Unimog if you want this Modell exactly, which is a U5000 or so, may be about 250.000€,
A Used Unimog, its depends on its age: These Small U 411 /2010 are way more than 20.000 € now, even if they are about 70 Yeahrs Old, and just 30 HP
A 406 like whe have is about the same price.. although its much bigger, and the 425 whe want to buy next yeahr, may be also in the 30.000 € Range..

My Thinkpad was about 500 € in 2011, and even if the Windows 10 makes it quite slow, it may have the same Processing Power than the Pyra..
I think whe shouldnt think about this that much, because nobody from us may wanted the Pyra just because its a "Cheap and Fast Pocket PC"..
Some of us, like i wanted this thing just because the Pandora was cool, and the Pyra will be much more of them..
I know that it want be the fastest Computer you can get for this money, but i dont care..

The Transparent Cases where a Part of the contract whit the old company: To fullfill, the contract, EvilDragon had should take at least 500 Transparent Cases, but as the old company wasnt apple to produce fast and good, EvilDragon moved the moulds so it may be that this part of the Conctract ditnt got fullfilled and there arend 500 transparent cases yet..

Hi

That 'vintage look' comment was an unwarranted inadvertent slip up by me.

I do like that transparent case. I would be like to spotted as a nerd holding one of those in my hand during my prolonged train travels for work. But it seems the final production Pyra case has moved away to something more dandy coated than transparent one.

Back