Beta Vim Gvim 7.2

joseluisjazz

I've compiled Vim 7.2 up to the latest patch (446) and with gtk2 GUI support. The one in Angstrom repository has no GUI and is patched only up to patch 411.

I've not made a PND because I think it makes more sense to build packages equivalents to the ones in Anstrom. And since I still don't know how to make ipk packages what I've done are tar.bz2, so you should choose the packages that interest you and extract them to root, effectively overwriting the old files.

vim-7.2.446-Os-upx-pandora.tar.bz2 (4.5MiB)
vim-doc-7.2.446-pandora.tar.bz2 (76KiB)
vim-help-7.2.446-pandora.tar.bz2 (1.29MiB)
vim-syntax-7.2.446-pandora.tar.bz2 (810KiB)
vim-tutor-7.2.446-pandora.tar.bz2 (172KiB)

If you want only the binary, here it is: vim (1.31MiB) (gvim is just a symlink to vim)

INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING: (thanks setb3)
Code:
sudo tar xf vim-7.2.446-Os-upx-pandora.tar.bz2 -C /

Enjoy!

Alerino said:
can you provide a few more instructions how to install? just copy to /usr/bin?

joseluisjazz said:
I've not made a PND because I think it makes more sense to build packages equivalents to the ones in Anstrom. And since I still don't know how to make ipk packages what I've done are tar.bz2, so you should choose the packages that interest you and extract them to root, effectively overwriting the old files.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Alerino said:
extract to root = copy all files to /root ?
ran 'locate vim' and it is in /etc/ folder
sorry guys, i'm not familiar with some linux terms

The root is the root filesystem aka "/".
extract to the root basically mean :

sudo tar xf vim-7.2.446-Os-upx-pandora.tar.bz2 -C /

(-C to set destination folder)

EDIT: added sudo as to extract on root, you need to be root. (understand that I wont let you do something on me :p)

problem: Now gvim doesn't show the menu bar. More precisely it shows a ±3 pixel high menu bar. I can hide nd show this tiny useless pseudomenu-bar with the usual commands :)set guioptions=+m or :set guioptions=+M)

So I googled for this and it I found it happened to people with Gnome. Deleting a gnome configuration file for gvim seems to fix it. (rm ~/.gnome2/Vim) But we don't have any of that. We use xfce and I couldn't find the equivalence (if there's any) to the gnome case. Any clues?

joseluisjazz said:
problem: Now gvim doesn't show the menu bar. More precisely it shows a ±3 pixel high menu bar. I can hide nd show this tiny useless pseudomenu-bar with the usual commands :)set guioptions=+m or :set guioptions=+M)

So I googled for this and it I found it happened to people with Gnome. Deleting a gnome configuration file for gvim seems to fix it. (rm ~/.gnome2/Vim) But we don't have any of that. We use xfce and I couldn't find the equivalence (if there's any) to the gnome case. Any clues?

.gnome2 isn't in use anymore (even within gnome) digg through .local and Applications directories.

Back