Video: Gp2x Vs. Mame Cabinet

telegramguy

Website
www.youtube.com
MAME face off on a GP2X vs. a MAME cabinet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmolhMSgyg

gp2x-vs-arcade.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the fucking coolest thing i've EVER SEEN this month.

Awesome.

I'm linking that from the uk gp2x homepage page in the next update.

Who was the song by, is it falco?

craigix posted on Feb 11 2007 at 11:04 PM said:
That was the fucking coolest thing i've EVER SEEN this month.

Awesome.

I'm linking that from the uk gp2x homepage page in the next update.

Who was the song by, is it falco?

Yeah, it's a cool vid. I'm glad the creator didn't try to REALLY make a comparison of the gp2x vs. a freaking PC!

The song is appropriately from the 80's called "Living on Video" from "Trans-X".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-X

Definitely amusing, although it also shows some serious things too.

Now...How exactly did you(or the video maker) get the GP2X to boot straight to MAME? I wouldn't mind doing that.

yalborap posted on Feb 13 2007 at 08:33 PM said:
Now...How exactly did you(or the video maker) get the GP2X to boot straight to MAME? I wouldn't mind doing that.

Create an autorun script :)

Well, that's well out of my ability, so no-go for me unless there's a GUI-based application for building these things, preferably on the GP2X itself.

yalborap posted on Feb 13 2007 at 08:41 PM said:
Well, that's well out of my ability, so no-go for me unless there's a GUI-based application for building these things, preferably on the GP2X itself.

It's very easy, so much so even I can do it ... hang on a bit ...

Actually ... and sorry for this lapse, I'm multi-multi tasking now .. I believe you can simple re-name your MAME executable to 'autorun.gpu', and check off (enable) autorun from the '2X settings ... I'm fairly certain.

I think ... :unsure:

yalborap posted on Feb 13 2007 at 09:33 PM said:
Definitely amusing, although it also shows some serious things too.

It's pretty simple. Create a text file with the following two lines:

cd /mnt/sd/3-mame/
exec ./femamegp2x.gpe

You can subsitute the path or executable to whatever you want. Then name the file autorun.gpu and put it at the root of your SD card. Finally, turn on autorun in the gp2x's system config. that's it! Now you can turn on auto mame from your system config menu.

PokeParadox posted on Feb 14 2007 at 04:33 AM said:
I laughed atthe bit where he attempted to stuff the MAME cab in a rucksack and also the trying to put a coin in the 2X ;)

To be honest, that part made me cringe. All banging on the GP2X with the quarter.... Maybe I just treat the thing too much like looking at it wrong could break it, but that just looked so...Unpleasant.(I blame the joystick. I can't help but think the thing's going to snap off and take the metal rod with it if it caught on my pocket or something.)

Heheh - cool video, if not entirely accurate. The cabinet comes top in all the important areas, but crucially not in the portability one. It just depends what you're after, really...

Tobriand posted on Feb 14 2007 at 09:32 AM said:
Heheh - cool video, if not entirely accurate. The cabinet comes top in all the important areas, but crucially not in the portability one. It just depends what you're after, really...

Yeah, I don't think that quite measures up to a real consumer reports type of comparison. :)

But the gp2x did win in the "cost" category which I think is pretty important unless you're filthy rich. Even if you have an arcade cabinet in good condition and a computer capable of running a descently recent version of MAME, you still have to fork over at least US$300 for a video card that'll sync down to 15Hz or low enough resolution, some type of keyboard to jamma controller interface, and some spare parts.

While the gp2x isn't perfect by any means, with the BoB or the TV-adapter, you can still play most games on a large CRT for that arcade feel. The only draw back of coruse in comparison to a real mame cabinet is that the tv-out on the gp2x won't scale pixel-to-pixel resolution or sync rate and portrait games like pac-man and centipede gets stuff chopped off when going through tv-out.

Here's a video of the gp2x on a CRT via tv-out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaL9-BrzUg

Fat Agnus posted on Feb 14 2007 at 10:29 AM said:
Tobriand posted on Feb 14 2007 at 09:32 AM said:

Yeah, I don't think that quite measures up to a real consumer reports type of comparison. :)

But the gp2x did win in the "cost" category which I think is pretty important unless you're filthy rich. Even if you have an arcade cabinet in good condition and a computer capable of running a descently recent version of MAME, you still have to fork over at least US$300 for a video card that'll sync down to 15Hz or low enough resolution, some type of keyboard to jamma controller interface, and some spare parts.

While the gp2x isn't perfect by any means, with the BoB or the TV-adapter, you can still play most games on a large CRT for that arcade feel. The only draw back of coruse in comparison to a real mame cabinet is that the tv-out on the gp2x won't scale pixel-to-pixel resolution or sync rate and portrait games like pac-man and centipede gets stuff chopped off when going through tv-out.

Here's a video of the gp2x on a CRT via tv-out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaL9-BrzUg

Well, it depends on how you built it. I've seen rigs that were done with just a simple PC, a USB gamepad, some spare parts and about 50 dollars of wood from the hardware store. Then just using the PC's monitor. It all depends on how arcade-perfect you want to be and how little you want to spend/work. :)

Some other excellent youtube videos from Amiga2000 which show some of the best games on MAME, very useful. If you go to that original link on the right theres several others from Amiga2000 to look at which are great

Back