Using Mp3 Players For Extra Space

mr twit

A can of spam!
Website
www.mmmpie.co.uk
I am looking around for a harddrive based MP3 player to buy, and have come across a few that have plugins you can buy that let you store stuff from SMCs onto them. Does anyone have one of these, and if so, can you also transfer from the player to the SMC? If so, they could be used to get much more space for GP32 stuff, like 20gigs worth of videos and games? Anyone tried this yet?

There was a guy a while ago who pointed towards a terapin drive, which is roughly what you're thinking of (10gb, though). Somewhat pricey, I'm afraid, though...

Yes, that looks very cool, does anyone with a GP32 have one? The Archos Gmini looks good too, but I'm not sure you can copy onto SMCs.

just bring a SMC reader around with you, and burn tons of stuff onto a CD.

then you can just go hook up to someone's PC or Mac and download from the CD to your card.

not exactly the perfect solution, but it works for some...

then you can just go hook up to someone's PC or Mac and download from the CD to your card.

You may as well have gpdrive installed if you're going to do that, with the link cable.

Maybe just get an ultra cheap laptop, and upgrade the HD.

Last edited by a moderator:

You may as well have gpdrive installed if you're going to do that, with the link cable.

u might as well just play on the laptop

I have found a really good looking mp3 player that could be used for this, but it only has slots for SD (secure digital) and MMC (multimedia card). Does anyone know if any SD to SMC/SMC to SD or MMC to SMC/SMC to MMC adapters exist? I've been searching for ages but haven't managed to find one. Thanks.

u might as well just play on the laptop
A laptop is hardly easy to whip out on the bus and play.... neither does it have the battery life. I meant stick the laptop in the boot of your car and just boot to swap data if you need to.

or, hold on, heres a gudden, BUY AN EXTRA SMC

its not worth it really, especially since most of the MP3 players you will find will only have 16mb or so internal memory if they support SMC, so u are adding 16mb to the memory you have, not exactly revolutional is it

Actually, I think MMCs actually work with the GP out of the box - at least up to 128. Not certain of that though; I think someone did do some tests but I can't remember any more than that. If anyone's got a digicam, mind checking to see if they do?

MMC is exactly the same as SD except more prone to corruption i think

so if SD dont work, MMC wont work

its why most carde readers use the same slot for MMC and SD

Back