Using a Pyra to rescue some old Amiga floppy disk

Farox

Certified Guru
Website
rbnet.it
Hello to all
I want to share a video i made about a recent thing i bought...the Greazeweazle v4 board.
I was intended to use with my Linux PC (Mint 19.3) but i discovered that the Greazeweazle need at minimum Pyhton3.7 to work, and on my (old) Mint i have only Python3.6 only.
So i booted my Pyra and saw that the Python version was 3.7...and so i used.

With my surprise all worked good..and i have rescued some disks..

So enjoy the video.

Nice!! <3
If you have any original disks with copy protection, make sure to store them as .IPF images. This should keep the copy protection intact and you can still use them in UAE.

(I wish I knew this ~20 years ago when I made images of all my old AMIGA floppies ... using my mom's Windows PC, an original AMIGA floppy drive, a usual PC floppy drive and a piece of software the name of which I can no longer remember ... luckily by now I found .IPF images of the disks I really want to keep as "original" (i.e. non-cracked) images on the web.)

BTW: amigaforever just released v10 last week in case anyone here cares.

Is an AMIGA floppy drive different from a PC-IBM compatible one ?

Is an AMIGA floppy drive different from a PC-IBM compatible one ?
Yeah there are some differences, they're outlined a bit in this article.

need at minimum Python3.7 to work, and on my (old) Mint i have only Python3.6 only
Yeah, I hate Python for that. It's not backwards compatible, and after the 2.6,2.7,3.x transition I thought the 3.x was "stable", but no; you need to have different binaries and libraries and some libraries are not compatible with each other, so the latest lib breaks the latest software. (Ansible needs python to run. If you have a mixed python versions environment, you need to code for that lowest version, so you can't use all the Ansible idiom (in particular: Jinja Filters), and pray it works in the new versions, and if not, break out to shell, do just sed and awk it to circumvent the limitations)
Perl is so much better in that respect with backwards compatibility build in.

Comes to something when we're holding up Perl as an example of how to do things! :oops:

Comes to something when we're holding up Perl as an example of how to do things! :oops:
I know right? I went to Python due to all the issues and annoyances I run into with Perl.

Honestly never really encountered too much issues with Python and mixed versioning, although I'm not dealing with ansible, but self written code usually executed with timed scripts.

Really hope that someone could find a fix for the annoyng freeze on the Pyra.:(
I have experimented a bit too much freezes during my several attempt to recover various Amiga/PC old floppy disks.

Reactions: rSl
I'm not getting any freezes on my Pyra, I do have the occasional sound bug.

• Love
Reactions: rSl
I'm not getting any freezes on my Pyra, I do have the occasional sound bug.
Lucky you!
For the first few months i never get a freezes (i must admit that wasn't a dayly use...) instead occasional sound bug....
lately less sound bug... but many freezes...maybe the use of a floppy drive and a Greazeweasle could have an impact...don't know.
Anyway the freezes was present also before the use with the Greazeweasle board (but less frequently).

Back